E-mail notification on cancelled subscription (not true)?

Breach1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Really, strange just received an e-mail from PayPal saying:

"The billing agreement that allowed Spotify AB to make the payment for your booking has been cancelled.
Description:   30 day of recurring Spotify Premium   

Manage your Billing Agreement by logging into your PayPal account and clicking the Billing Agreement link under your Profile. In your Profile, you can choose and edit your preferred funding source and cancel your Billing Agreement."

Seemed strange and fishy, so I logged in separately and my Spotify subscription is still there, payment methods all valid etc. The e-mail itself looks legit too - any ideas?

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

mariroyer2023
New Community Member

I received two notices. I didn't click on the link but I did chat paypal and they verified the email came from them. I used the chat assistant.

I'll wait to till my next payment next month to see if my Spotify is paid. 

Login to Me Too

gsnyder13
Contributor
Contributor

I got one too only it said I had a 3month agreement. Sounds like a glitch somewhere.

Login to Me Too

MikeTeeVee
Contributor
Contributor

I got it too..checked both accounts and both are up to date...seems strange both subscribers (and non) to spotify got this.

Login to Me Too

Kethryvalis
Contributor
Contributor

I messaged PayPal with the information in my e-mail and received this reply:

"What happened was Spotify canceled this subscription that connected to your PayPal account that is why PayPal sent this notification that your subscription to Spotify has been canceled. Please contact Spotify for more information."

...which doesn't help me at all because I didn't have a 3-month recurring Spotify subscription.  I have a Premium Duo plan that bills me monthly.

I'll try reaching out to Spotify next and see what they say.

UPDATE:

I received a response back from Spotify:

"Your account is fine! We sincerely apologize for wasting your time on this issue that has now arisen. We are currently investigating this issue and will be working on a fix soon."

I haven't seen any public/official response from PayPal or Spotify, but I'm definitely thinking there was a glitch or something in the background that triggered the sending of these e-mails to everyone.

Login to Me Too

moenies
New Community Member
Same here. Never used Paypal to pay for Spotify.
Login to Me Too

Pyth0n
Contributor
Contributor

I got one too (in Polish, which matches my account). My name matches, my Spotify plan matches.

However, on close inspection my Spotify recurring payment is active, but my CC was removed from it - leaving only PayPal balance as a source. CC itself is valid and active in other PayPal recurring payments (like Netflix) - it is just Spotify that was cleared.

UPDATE: I contacted Spotify, they claim everything is fine on their end and they have no trace of any cancellation whatsoever. 

UPDATE2: Part of URL embedded in cancellation email is email-merchant-pull-agreement-api-modified. Perhaps that's some hint?

Login to Me Too

Serenal91
I got the same thing today. Checked my paypal and Spotify accounts and everything is good. Kinda weird. “The billing agreement that allowed Spotify USA Inc to make the payment for your booking has been cancelled. Description: 1 month of recurring Spotify Premium Manage your Billing Agreement by logging into your PayPal account and clicking the Billing Agreement link under your Profile. In your Profile, you can choose and edit your preferred funding source and cancel your Billing Agreement.”
Login to Me Too

Schmidbauer
Contributor
Contributor

There is a German thread about this as well, and there, @Xaphir2k5 seems to have found the answer (at least for him and me):

These are very old inactive Spotify subscriptions that we have forgotten about.

You can find that old subscription in your PayPal account by going to "Automatic Payments" and clicking "Show inactive". For me, it's a subscription from 2014, that I didn't even remember anymore, which has the exact same description  ("3 month of recurring Spotify Premium") as in the recent e-mail.

That I really had that subscription is corroborated by old e-mail receipts from 2014 from PayPal that also mention the same payment description.

Login to Me Too

QaZwSx123321
Contributor
Contributor

I got this too! "The billing agreement that allowed Spotify USA Inc to make the payment for your booking has been cancelled. Description:   1 month of recurring Spotify Premium." Glad to know it wasn't just me. Definitely seems like an error.

Login to Me Too

CristiCat
New Community Member

Same, got this message on 09 March (but only just noticed today because I'm bad about checking email) and immediately checked both Spotify and PayPal...nothing seems amiss with either, as I was billed for Spotify Premium on 11 March 

I suppose I'll just have to wait until next month?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.