Delays in paypal bill pay transactions, who can help?

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

Payments I've made using bill pay have been sent to my billers (American express, utility bills, insurance) in 1-2 days. These show as ACH transactions when received by my billers.

However, in the past month, on more than one occasion paypal delayed paying my bills.

payments made on Nov 28th 2022 (17 days to send)

payments made on Nov 29th 2022 (7 days to send)

payments made on Nov 30th 2022 (6 days to send)

this has now occurred again. a payment sent Dec 14th has not been sent - i know this because a separate payment sent on Dec 15th has already arrived at my biller.

This service is unreliable.

But worse is that paypal reps are unable to provide ACH trace numbers and insist that since paypal took the money from my bank that the transaction was completed. They advise to contact who runs the paypal account at american express. These are not paypal to paypal transactions. Paypal relays the money to the bill pay target via ACH, not to their paypal account.

Has anyone had success in getting help with a transaction like this?

Login to Me Too
173 REPLIES 173

slash927
Contributor
Contributor

Would like to follow this also. My past payments from November and older has arrived within 1-2 days until this month. I've sent a payment 14 December that still hasn't arrived to my utilities. Curious what's going on.

Login to Me Too

Iphonesales16
New Community Member
I'm in the same boat. The support on both ends dont seem to be helpful in resolving this. At this point I have four payments on 12/14 that have not appeared on any of the bills I've paid.
Login to Me Too

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

for those keeping score - paypal payments sent on 12/14 arrived on 12/21 and 12/22 (6-7 day posting times)

payment sent between 12/15 and 12/19 all arrived prior to those sent 12/14

paypal blames the receiving institutions, blames the sender, it's simply not the case. there are issue with the paypal bill pay service the reps do not understand or lack the understanding to comprehend the issues.

Login to Me Too

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sending small payments to my ins. company every day in order to keep track.

there is a new delayed day 12/21

payments sent 12/21 have not arrived

payments sent 12/22 to the same bill have arrived.

someone is asleep at the switch at PayPal on Wednesdays it seems.

Login to Me Too

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

more data points - previously lost payments send on 12/21 have hit their targets on 12/27 and 12/28.

Login to Me Too

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

Payments sent on 12/27 have not reached the target bill.

Payments sent on 12/28 HAVE reached the same target bill.

I'm thinking there's a guy sitting somewhere in paypal that is just really really bad at his job in making sure the ACH file is sent.

The recent weird observation is - the same day that missing money is found... payments sent that day go missing.

Login to Me Too

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

bill pay sent on 12/29 have also posted while bill pay sent on 12/27 have not.

paypal clearly has issues with consistency - that's a best case scenerio.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @dcatast

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear you've run into some issues with your Bill Pay. I can certainly understand how concerning it must be to have to wait different time-frames for a bill to reflect on the recipient's end. The time it takes to reflect on your the recipient's end can vary depending on the receiver due to a number of reasons from short-staffing during the holiday season or just normal delays in the banking system. Normally, it should reflect on the recipient's end within 3-5 business days if there are no hiccups along the way.

My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. You're welcome to reach out to our Customer Support teams by clicking "Contact" at the bottom of any PayPal page if you have more questions or concerns on this or other topics. 

Best wishes and good luck with your future transactions!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_JonK 

you do realize this is not an issue of the receivers, correct?

if payments sent to multiple bills on the same day - none of them post.

payments sent to the same multiple bills on the following day - all post.

payments sent to the same multiple bills on the following day - all post.

this shows it has nothing to do with the receiver and that paypal isn't sending the funds via ach in the time communicated on the payment screen when you elect to send the payment.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.