Delays in paypal bill pay transactions, who can help?

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

Payments I've made using bill pay have been sent to my billers (American express, utility bills, insurance) in 1-2 days. These show as ACH transactions when received by my billers.

However, in the past month, on more than one occasion paypal delayed paying my bills.

payments made on Nov 28th 2022 (17 days to send)

payments made on Nov 29th 2022 (7 days to send)

payments made on Nov 30th 2022 (6 days to send)

this has now occurred again. a payment sent Dec 14th has not been sent - i know this because a separate payment sent on Dec 15th has already arrived at my biller.

This service is unreliable.

But worse is that paypal reps are unable to provide ACH trace numbers and insist that since paypal took the money from my bank that the transaction was completed. They advise to contact who runs the paypal account at american express. These are not paypal to paypal transactions. Paypal relays the money to the bill pay target via ACH, not to their paypal account.

Has anyone had success in getting help with a transaction like this?

Login to Me Too
173 REPLIES 173

joshdavis
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same issue. Paid on 1/4 and 1/5 and it has not arrived. Quite big payments and very nervous they are not going to get there on time.

Login to Me Too

Cat_116
Contributor
Contributor
+1 12/27 PayPal bill pay to a utility company is missing. And still missing as of now. Chat with PayPal customer service and they are not helpful.
Login to Me Too

be2117

Just to add to the data points.  I have a 1/4/23 debit card paypal billpay payment that has not been received by the credit card company.  Transactions from a day prior (1/3) and a few days later (1/7) showed up fine to the same payee.

Login to Me Too

lfk-jjb
Contributor
Contributor
I made two payments on 12/27 that were never received. I’ve filed disputes with PayPal. One has been closed because “the transaction processed correctly.” These payments had also been scheduled but just disappeared (never left my bank- the payment just fell off the scheduler and wasn’t made) so I made them again on the 27th. Customer service has been worthless.
Login to Me Too

barfood
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing has happened with me on 3 different utility bill payments sent on 12/27.  One finally showed up on 1/9.  The other two still haven't.  Correct about Paypal support... totally useless.  They don't know anything about Xoom and the Utility Billing part of their business.  I suspect the other two missing payments will show up soon, I just have to end up paying the bills my conventional way and then I end up with credits for next months bills.  Sometimes the bill payments are received by my utility in 2 days, like one I sent to my gas company on 1/5.  And I found the same problem as others with trying to schedule a payment at a future date, it just disappears.  So for now I only pay immediately.  What a hassle, but I do like getting the 3%cb for using my Paypal Mastercard for utility payments!

Login to Me Too

Liz0925
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, a $563 payment sent 12/27 to my credit card is missing.  My husband had the same issue for a payment back in November on the same date the original poster here documented - with the exact same delay.   From reading all these posts it appears something in this bill payment system breaks on certain days for many if not everyone, eventually it gets corrected and everyone's payments finally get sent out after days, weeks ? What is particularly frustrating and unacceptable is for this to continue without being fixed AND to see no acknowledgement from the service provider that there is any problem. 

Login to Me Too

dcatast
Contributor
Contributor

oh no, looks like they have closed this case in the dumbest way possible.

"Hi! My name is Maritess from Paypal and we appreciate you in taking the time in bringing this to our attention. The case number CSTS0026560 has already been resolved today and funds were immediately made available n the recipient US Bank/Elan Financial Services - Consumer & Business Card Services Paypal account. I hope I was able to answer all of your questions today. Thank you for being the best part of Paypal."

Login to Me Too

joshdavis
Contributor
Contributor

did the money actually show up or did they just cancel the ticket with that response?

Login to Me Too

knicks20
Contributor
Contributor

wait what? are they serious?? How does that resolve anything? Apparently, some other user was told my ticket has also been closed out and resolved however I have not yet been notified of it. this is on another level of incompetence. 

Login to Me Too

Liz0925
Contributor
Contributor

We can always hope it was resolved today and the rep misinterpreted the outcome (which in reality could only be the payment(s) were finally sent today and will arrive in the normal 1-2 business days)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.