International family and friends fees

Thumbel1
Contributor
Contributor
Hi. I posted previously but got an incorrect answer, directed to a PayPal customer service help section that no longer responds directly to customers, followed by a second incorrect and rude response. Hopefully there is someone on here that genuinely understands PayPal and is happy to provide some accurate advice. I have a U.S. account. My mom has a UK account. She has attempted to send me money through PayPal which is apparently free for family and friends. Unfortunately there is a 5% fee I am charged when she does this. Despite the fact no fee amount is displayed on her end when she sends it and is given an “amount the recipient will receive” which is inaccurate. It is unclear on Paypal's site whether the 5% fee applies to family and friends payments in addition to the currency conversion cost and poor exchange rate or if there is an anomaly with our accounts that is causing the 5% fee to be generated. Thank you.
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Thumbel1 

Duplicate thread, already been given correct advice but prefers to not accept it.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Transactions/Fees-to-send-money-from-UK-to-US/m-p/3038053#M12270...

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Thumbel1
Contributor
Contributor
Please stop harassing me on my posts. I was given an incorrect answer multiple times and I am attempting to reword things to avoid misunderstandings and a pile on from you and your friend.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Thumbel1 

Duplicate threads are against forum rules.

You were given correct advice that you don't understand.

Then you were rude to someone trying to help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Thumbel1
Contributor
Contributor
This is not a duplicate thread. This is a rewording of a question because my previous question must have been misunderstood because I received an incorrect answer. I have also been attempting to avoid harassment that started on that other thread which is now continuing on this one which I believe is also against the rules. Mods can we please get some help here? This trolling is really getting out of hand.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Thumbel1 

Its a duplicate thread which is not allowed.

No one is trolling or harrassing you, I have answered your posts as you post them.

Why do you think you can post again and I cannot reply again?

So far you have been rude / posted duplicate threads and accused the advisors of trolling you.

Another advisor gave up their time to help you and your first sentence was to be rude and ask them why they are on the forum when they don't know the answer !!!!

This, all because you do not understand the answers given you  🤔

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Thumbel1
Contributor
Contributor
It seems you are the one who is unable to understand. 1. This is not a duplicate thread. This is a rewording to avoid the myriad of misunderstandings from you and the other poster. It is a new thread. 2. The initial answer was not correct. It was a cut and paste of a PayPal page which I had already read (as anyone running through the help pages and ending up at the community forum would have done). That page did not answer my questions. The original poster you are so viciously defending did make subsequent attempts to address my issue, though they did still miss key points in my original post about international payments. 3. It is rude to reply to a thread with a cut and paste PayPal reference that doesn’t answer the question. I was merely responding. 4. You have added zero to the conversation. No information. No answer. Just wasting everyone’s time by replying to my threads with bullying. Mods please do something about this exhausting person.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Thumbel1, @kernowlass, and @sharpiemarker,

Thank you all for your posts! I'm sorry that there's been confusion and a disagreement, and I'm happy to provide clarification. @kernowlass and @sharpiemarker have provided correct information.

A payment that is sent as a personal payment may incur a fee to the sender. If the payment is sent using a credit card, there is a fee. If a payment has a currency conversion, there is a fee. However, these fees should not be visible to or paid by the recipient. I believe there may have once been a way to indicate that fees should be paid by the recipient, but I do not believe that has been a selection possible for a very long time. 

A payment sent as a Goods and Services payment would have fees payable by the recipient, and not by the sender. There may have once been a way to assume the fees at the sending of the payment, but I do not believe that has been a choice for a very long time.

If what has been stated here is not what you are seeing, I suggest taking screenshots of the pages leading up to the payment and then note which payment results from that process. Then contact Customer Service and let them know what you're running into. If there is a technical issue, they can look to see if it's been reported by others and add your account information to an ongoing investigation, or if it's new, they can begin a new investigation in case it becomes something more people experience as well. You can find your contact options by clicking Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website.

I have turned off replies for this thread. Please review the Community Rules and Guidelines, linked at the top of each thread and again here. We absolutely value your participation, but interpersonal disputes are not permitted. I hope that you'll continue to participate in the Community Forum, with the guidelines in mind. Your experiences are helpful to others!

I hope this information helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.