I have my preferred method on my bank account and keep getting told to add a payment method

brwnbuddha
New Community Member

So I have my preferred method set to my bank account and when I try to pay for something with it, it tells me I need to add a payment method.
Sometimes there's no problem at all and it uses my bank account, the payment goes through and there's no problem at all whatsoever, but then the REST of the time, 90% of the time, it tells me I need to add a payment method. Just yesterday I gifted someone a game on steam, it was fine, but LITERALLY seconds after I went to buy myself the same game in the same way and it tells me I need to add a payment method. I kept trying until eventually steam just told me I have to wait cause I tried too many times. Tried the next day and it worked. It almost feels like its all luck if it works or not. like the programming is just bugged and doesn't work and then once in a blue moon, oh it actually works? wow!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @brwnbuddha

Thanks for joining the Community! 

I'm sorry you've been having difficulty making payments. It sounds like you're running into our Security System. Our Security System reviews each transaction at the time of your purchase. If it determines a higher risk, you may be asked to add a different payment method. To help with this, I always recommend logging in from a consistent device or allowing 24-48 hours between denied payment attempts. 

I hope this helps! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

sane_JJ
New Community Member

@PayPal_Meghan  Can you help me out as well. My issue is similar yet so different, and I cant seem to post a new question.

I'm from South Africa and currently in the U.S. I just linked my new American bank account to my PayPal in it is verified, but somehow its not allowing me to choose it as a preferred method of payment. Every time I try it prompts "This can’t be used as your preferred way to pay online. Choose a different payment method." How can I resolve this problem?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Tommy

@sane_JJ,

We cannot see the details of your account right now via this channel. I advise you to contact us via the contact us section at the bottom of your account or via Twitter/Facebook. 

-Tommy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.