Secure Cards, PayPal Plug-In?

wizard7926
Contributor
Contributor

Will I still be able to create one-time-use Secure Cards when the Plug-In is no longer available??

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59

srweb
Contributor
Contributor

I Keep hoping PP management would come to their senses on this one issue. I can't even begin to see how anyone can defend removing secure cards and using a debit card as equal or better security... Sheesh.....I mean really! Smiley Mad

Login to Me Too

Shop812
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree, srweb ... "sheeesh!"  2 days and counting until I totally forget about PP ... unless they come to their collective senses. Smiley Surprised

Login to Me Too

Shop812
Contributor
Contributor

Did all you disgruntled folk get the PP reminder? And can you figure out why the dude is smiling?  Must be using something other than PayPal, huh?!  PP may not let me include their graphic.  No surprise!

Login to Me Too

KeepThePlugIn
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like they never did come to their senses. A very unfortunate hassle that Paypal could have avoided completely. Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

Jeff63301
Contributor
Contributor

Folks, I have come to the conclusion that posting here gets us no where.  So CALL use the telephone and keep them working to resolve this.

I called!

You have to go thru the Pay-Pal menu to get a "web code" to use when you call in.  Otherwise I would have posted the 888 number here.

Do not give up -- use the telephone and let your real voice be heard.

The reason they gave me for discontinuing the service was "based on a poor customer experience."  Did anyone here have a poor customer experience except that the service was discontinued?

KEEP CALLING and KEEP POSTING.

Thanks,

Jeff

Login to Me Too

Shop812
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion, Jeff 63301, but I think I'm done with PayPal.  I have removed the plug-in from my browsers (no longer worked anyway), and now use PayPal for eBay auctions only and may drop them there, too.  So much for them since I only do eBay about twice a year.

I now have a low-limit credit card (NOT PayPal) for online shopping and will use the BoA ShopSafe, too.

Frankly, at this point, and with some further research, PayPal is just not worth the effort.  If enough people write them off, maybe they'll take notice (I doubt it), but it will be too late for them at that point.  "PayPal has died! Long live PayPal" or some such tripe as that.

Login to Me Too

2pay
Contributor
Contributor

I too am very disappointed that PP is dropping both the plug-in and one-time secure card.  With its introduction, I felt that the plug-in was 'the way of the future', a more secure and worry-free  ecommerce experience.  Used in conjunction with 1Password on my Mac and Roboform on my PC, I rarely had to type anything to make purchases.  Using their debit card won't be the same experience.

Like any company who has 'grown up', I would guess that PP did this for financial reasons, the bottom line.  If they weren't making enough interest off of the relatively small amounts at which people keep their PP accounts funded to cover the cost of development, maintenance, security and infrastructure costs, they just should have told us this was the case.  I wish that they would have tried another business model, like ad-supported or maybe a small fee for the convenience of using the plug-in.  Many users might have been okay with that.

I only used PP for online purchases and all online purchases with with PP.  Now that the on-time secure card is gone,  I'm off to BoA to try out ShopSafe, and will probably drop PP after I'm satisfied with that.

Shawn

Login to Me Too

Robbinkay
Contributor
Contributor

I AGREE! I love or should I say loved the secure cards. I could shop anywhere and feel safe about it!!! Now I have to make sure the web site takes PP. PLEASE, PLEASE bring the Secure Cards back!!!!!!!Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

useopenid
Contributor
Contributor

The only alternative I've found so far is that Discover has something like it.  The problem is that for some silly reason, you have to actually *call* them on the phone to cancel it once you've generated one.  Defeats a large part of the point of the things, but its all I've found so far...

Login to Me Too

MarzBarz
New Community Member

This is going to render paypal almost useless to me. I use it for small transactions with merchants who don't accept Paypal (pizza joints, etc). Now I'll only be depositing it to my bank, and using it, leaving PP with no use.

Stupid move in my opinion.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.