Secure Cards, PayPal Plug-In?

wizard7926
Contributor
Contributor

Will I still be able to create one-time-use Secure Cards when the Plug-In is no longer available??

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59

sadie1721

I love the Paypal Plugin.  Please Paypal don't discontinue it.  It truly is one of the best features of Paypal.  I hope you read all of these posts.  Not everyone takes Paypal and being able to pay with your checking account was the best thing in the world.  If it was not used very much what are there at least 4 pages of users not wanting it discontinued?  Please don't take this option away from Paypal users!!!!!Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

hudakore
Contributor
Contributor

"For those reading these posts who are dumbfounded by PP's decision and direction, go to the following link that discusses other available "virtual" credit cards from Citi and Discover:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20021011b.asp

This may be our answer once PP deserts us!  There may be other sources, too, but I haven't found them yet.  Has anybody posted PP's decision on Facebook or Twitter or elsewhere yet?"

Good suggestion!  After all these years with PP, if this change does go into effect, I will switch over.

Login to Me Too

Shop812
Contributor
Contributor

To SeabeeTow4 and others ...

who mentioned the Bank of America program:  it is called ShopSafe.  I set up online access to my BoA VISA and enrolled to use the ShopSafe feature.  There are many redundancies and levels of security to get set up, but that's good.  Once you're set up and are shopping, you launch ShopSafe.  It creates a virtual card linked to your real card (never seen by the online merchant).  It will autofill as does PP.  Each online merchant gets a unique card number; YOU set the spending limit for each virtual card; YOU set the expiration date of each card, up to 12 months.

I have not actually shopped with the BoA ShopSafe, but it sounds like a truly viable alternative to PP's secure card, although not quite as simple to use ... simple enough, though for the security.

Thanks for the tip.  I feel better already ... guess we don't need PP as much as we thought we did !!

Login to Me Too

Shop812
Contributor
Contributor

OK.  Tried the BoA ShopSafe tonight to make a charitable donation.  Process is not as automatic as PP, but it WORKED.  You have to manually transfer info for the card from ShopSafe to your vendor, but keeping them in separate windows makes this easy enough.  Still MUCH prefer what PP does, but, if they are going to leave us hanging and swinging, then I'm good-to-go with an option!

Login to Me Too

calail

i'm glad people have found the BoA option. i've been using it for years, and have never had an issue with it. i prefered the PP Secure Cards because it tied to my PayPal account (where i had CASH) versus a credit card i had to pay later. but, looks like i'll just use PayPal temporarily until i get the cash transferred to my bank account.
just like others here, i'm extremely unhappy that PayPal has elected to eliminate their Secure Card offering. surely, they understand we'll continue to shop where we want to shop, and we just won't use Paypal as a payment method. their other offerings are not acceptable replacements for the Secure Card offer.
their loss.
now to figure out how to quit using eBay - between the two of them, they're taking too much of my money!

@Shop812 wrote:

I have not actually shopped with the BoA ShopSafe, but it sounds like a truly viable alternative to PP's secure card, although not quite as simple to use ... simple enough, though for the security.

Thanks for the tip.  I feel better already ... guess we don't need PP as much as we thought we did !!

Login to Me Too

Shop812
Contributor
Contributor

For those who wonder if PP is listening ... go to their corporate blog and you might get a clue why no one cares:

https://www.thepaypalblog.com/

Explore that a bit and you will see they are very please with themselves, but not with us ... customers.  We must be such an inconvenience to them!

Login to Me Too

Shop812
Contributor
Contributor

Went to the PP corporate blog.  Tried "contact us"  with this message:

"Anyone at PP listening??  Check your PP Community Forum for comments on dropping "Secure Cards" and PP plug-in.   If you can understand the vernacular, you are shooting yourselves at PP/eBay in the foot !"

Tried to send messages twice ... only got: "Failed to send.  Contact administrator or use other way."   This just gets better and better !!  Even if they bring back the plug-in, I think I've had it with them.

Login to Me Too

Bob_55
Contributor
Contributor

Shop812 .... I've also  'HAD ENOUGH'.  Next it will be the cancellation of the PP 6 digit security key!  This would probably fall into the same category as our one time use Secure-Card......"We think it's in the customers best interest".....LoL!! 

Login to Me Too

steak555

Signed up to express how unhappy I am with this decision, like many others. Maybe the problem PayPal has is with the plug-in itself? Like maybe they could ditch the plug-in and add the option to generate a secure card to the "Add or Edit Cards" tab in the browser pages themselves?

Shop812 wrote:

Went to the PP corporate blog.  Tried "contact us"  with this message:

"Anyone at PP listening??  Check your PP Community Forum for comments on dropping "Secure Cards" and PP plug-in.   If you can understand the vernacular, you are shooting yourselves at PP/eBay in the foot !"

Tried to send messages twice ... only got: "Failed to send.  Contact administrator or use other way."   This just gets better and better !!  Even if they bring back the plug-in, I think I've had it with them.

Did you try contacting them through this site?

Login to Me Too

Shop812
Contributor
Contributor

Steak555 said: "Did you try contacting them through this site?"

... I think that's what we are ALL trying to do, if anyone out there is listening!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.