Secure Cards, PayPal Plug-In?

wizard7926
Contributor
Contributor

Will I still be able to create one-time-use Secure Cards when the Plug-In is no longer available??

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59

plugin_user
Contributor
Contributor

I also found the SecureCard one time PayPal one time use credit card feature very valuable. I hope they don't end it.

Login to Me Too

srweb
Contributor
Contributor

I got a PP survey regarding the Debit Card a few days ago... In every comment field I made it clear how I will no longer recommend  PP to others after just dropping Secure Cards and offering NOTHING as an alternative... Smiley Mad

Login to Me Too

Amanda411

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know that we have been reading your comments and passing them along.

At this time the PayPal Plug-In  will be discontinued on September 22, 2010. For more information see here: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/general/PPPluginExternal-outside

PayPal continues to provide the ability to complete transactions without displaying your financial information. You can use the PayPal Security Key to add an extra layer of protection to your account access and Iconix eMail ID to fight phishing. The PayPal Security Center offers information and tips on how to transact safely and more information about these security tools. https://www.paypal.com/securitycenter

As an alternative, the PayPal Debit Card offers a way to make purchases and offers 100% protection against unauthorized charges.

To learn more see here: https://www.paypal.com/debitcard

Amanda

Login to Me Too

KeepSecureCards
Contributor
Contributor

Oh Amanda, that's just such an unpersonal, painstakingly-crafted response which doesn't do a thing to make your customers happier about this change.  You probably don't have much power beyond just copy-and-pasting what they tell you to, though, so I understand.  You're shackled and can't do much to actually help the situation.

As a longtime PayPal customer, I just want to say this, though, and I hope you'll pass this on to your superiors:

Considering I make my money entirely online and buy the things I need and want almost exclusively online these days, the ability to generate temporary credit card numbers through PayPal's Secure Card feature was INVALUABLE to me.  I mean it -- utterly 100% invaluable.  ** In fact, there is honestly no other service that I value from PayPal more than the SecureCard feature, period. **  

It's very obvious to me just from reading all these other replies that I'm not alone.  How can you guys see all this feedback and still keep a straight face when telling all of us that you're doing away with Secure Cards in order to pursue "more popular features"?

PayPal is the premier way to pay for things online -- you guys shouldn't be *scaling back* your services, especially one as wildly useful as your Secure Cards!

Please please PLEASE please please please please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE (to the power of 100!) do not get rid of the Secure Card feature.  Keep Paypal ahead of their game -- I'd rather not have to go somewhere else to get my online transaction needs fulfilled.

Most earnestly,

L. Wilson

San Bernardino County, California

Login to Me Too

arstearns
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Amanda,

Bless your heart for replying. I am sure most of us were wondering if anyone from PayPal cared about their customer's responses to discontinuing the PayPal Secure Card.

Of course, it remains to be seen if PayPal cares enough to reinstate their Secure Card. You folks were WAY out front of all other financial institutions with secure online transactions. Now you have gone back to the pack.

Sadly, like L. Wilson, I see your post as a poor attempt at public relations. The alternatives presented to the Secure Card are poor alternatives indeed. You can't get any more secure than a Secure Card that can only be used by one vendor either multiple times or one time (really secure).

Respectfully, Al Stearns

Pisgah Forest, NC

USA

Login to Me Too

Shop812
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Al Stearns and L. Wilson, for your replies to Amanda.  I agree that we must have hit the "4 pages of posts" threshold to receive a reply from PP ... but, thank you, Amanda, for fielding our comments.

My latest PP bummer was going to my receipts to try and download into a file all my receipts ... as PP suggests you should do.  THAT didn't work either!  I can print each one individually, but not the whole history as a file.  Fortunately, from the get-go I had devised a method of keeping this stuff.  I just wanted to see if it worked.

I have managed to complete my online transactions since about page 3 of these posts via Bank of America ShopSafe.  As I said earlier, it is not as efficient and convenient as SecureCards, but it DOES work and gives a similar extra layer of security and anonymity for credit transactions.

This isn't to-the-point, but does anyone know what resources at PP and eBay are consumed when we use the Plug-in installed on our computer?  I know there is the record-keeping thing, but that is surely a "server-thing" and not a "people thing."  Just curious.

KEEP THE CAMPAIGN GOING!! Smiley Indifferent

Login to Me Too

temp20180326x
New Community Member

I hope paypal keeps the Paypal plugin/secure card feature.

The securecard virtual credit card saved me one time with a vendor who tried to auto rebill me for another year of service.

Please keep the PayPal Plug-in/SecureCard feature!

Login to Me Too

KeepSecureCards
Contributor
Contributor
Chiming in again: Please keep Secure Cards! Don't drive away your customers, PayPal, by cancelling this invaluable feature!
Login to Me Too

Shop812
Contributor
Contributor

One of the greatest things about Secure Cards was the ability to subscribe to something that you knew would be automatically renewed, but you didn't want to get caught in the automatic-thing.  I've used it for ConsumerReports online and several news sites.  Funny how they keep notifying me that my "card" has expired and they need a valid card to renew.  I have been in control.  Just today, managed to ID and kill an auto renew credit card service that had started in 1985, but had not been able to bill me until I activated a card ... and the card is a VISA from BoA with their ShopSafe feature that I had to activate in order to have an option to PayPal .  Go figure.

Come on, PayPal.  Time to realize you've made a huge business and PR mistake and NOT stop Secure Cards next week.

Login to Me Too

KeepThePlugIn
Contributor
Contributor

I'm another person that registered here just to let my opinion be known on discontinuing the plug-in.

Over the past month, I have searched (a lot) for alternatives to PP's secure cards and have yet to find a suitable replacement. I tend to make most of my 'spending money' online, so I really liked having that money easily accessible on any site I wanted to spend it. Now, I'll be unable to do that.

Paypal can babble on about the fact that so many retailers accept Paypal now... except some of the biggest ones out there (Amazon, anyone?). I do 90% of my Christmas shopping online and use 'deal' websites to find good sales and bargains, sometimes those items sell out very quickly. There's no way I would have time to transfer that money to my bank account and then use my bank debit card. Not to mention the fact that I really don't like having my bank debit card out there in case the information gets stolen, I'd rather not have the money that I was going to spend on my bills disappear from my bank account.

The Paypal debit card would be an option, except for the fact that I don't want to upgrade my account to premier or business. I have no need for my account to be either of those. Then again, that could be why opinions like mine don't matter to Paypal anyway, because I just have a simple personal account.

I have no idea why Paypal would make this idiotic move. It makes absolutely no sense, unless they're just trying to drive customers away.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.