eBay Nigeria scam

Rmil6617
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all 

I have sold my iPad on eBay the buyer has not paid for it. This has been going on for a couple of days they are sending me email saying they are going to make payment. The eBay account has an address in London and zero feedback. The first email I got said they are away on business and will make payment today. So I get an email today saying they have made payment via PayPal . It had a PayPal email receipt attached to it that looks very genuine they have included an extra  hundred pounds and want me to send it to Nigeria also a note on the email that states the transaction will show as pending on PayPal until I send about tracking number. 

I believe this is a scam has anyone else experienced the same thing ?. 

Login to Me Too
179 REPLIES 179

Jinglis
New Community Member
That's the exact duplicate of what happened to me yesterday. iPhone and £30 postage, I checked my Paypal account and couldn't see any sign of transaction . Then looked at the "Paypal " email more closely, there was a spelling error and a few subtle differences. It's scary though. Is EBay aware of this, maybe they should post a warning to others. I wonder how many have been duped and maybe even too embarrassed to report
Login to Me Too

Jinglis
New Community Member

croshell

I have been targeted twice now in the last two weeks, so they are getting prevalent again.  the first was from graham24-53 they had hacked the account, and were trying for the gold ring I have been selling, after being reported they are now working under the account roraboy48 and trying once again for the gold engagement ring I am selling.  This is really becomming quite tiresome.

Login to Me Too

Cathyk84
Contributor
Contributor
The same email Address has tried to scam me this weekend they are still emailing me now. The eBay account is called cdhhtt3 they are also emailing me now off the email mentioned above. I haven't sent anything although I've told them I have because I'm quite enjoying winding them up now and leading them on. Haha The other email address is cdhhtt3 and they are using the names Marco and Jeanne
Login to Me Too

Fasttrac
Contributor
Contributor

We have received a few phone calls from people in the UK who called to query that goods bought from them on ebay by a particular name Helen Richardson and directed to our address in UK were not paid for, they believed they have been scamed and fooled to ship their goods out to the supposedly buyer's address which happens to be our warehouse/receiving centre address.

Well, we are a Parcel consolidation company ( an hybrid logistic solutions) for genuine overseas shoppers who wants to source for quality products online from western countries highstreets and retail outlets etc..

As most of  these shop will not ship to certain countries, we come inbetween the buyer and seller, providing a local address were all their overseas shoppings can be delivered, consolidated and forwarded to door in their countries.

Scammers have found our service a suitable mask to carry ot their crimes.. Our message to ebayers and other online sellers, is this:  if you ever fall a victim and you were asked to forward the item to UK address, go online and check the forwardimg comapny address and numbers and you may be lucky if the goods have not been ship overseas.. you have to act fast though.. we are now aware of these cases, so we tend to withold goods with such queries and do a fraud check, if we are satisfied it's a scam we do ask the sellers to arrange to pick their goods back.. so far we have returned goods back to 2 customers and few suspected ones are still witheld and under investigation..

once again, if you have been scammed and the address was in UK and a company, please go and look up the company and call up, might be our address and we might have your goods.. we have a few suspicious names under investigation.

Its unfortunate these things happen but we can beat them to it by joining in the fight against these fraudsters.Hopefully our joint efforts will discourage them.

Login to Me Too

juliaa
Contributor
Contributor

This happend to me a couple of days ago- luckily I got suspicious and emailed paypal who told me its a scam, so I didnt loose anything. The guy didnt want me to ship it to nigeria but to malaysia..wanted to pay much more than I asked for (made me think its weird), then I received that fake paypal email also saying to ship the item first and only then will I be able to see the amount in my balance- then at first I thought its weird but also that who knows -ive heard weird and bad storys about paypal ..but then I just still emailed them and found out its a scam..

His ebay name is yakub_8 , so if he ever buys anything from you-its a scam!

Login to Me Too

Fasttrac
Contributor
Contributor

dont ship as you already seen, its a scam.

Login to Me Too

blueholly

I wish i had seen this yesterday before i sent my xperia z3 away which is now due to leave the country today i could kick myself all the paypal emails where genuine or so i thought until she asked for another £170 last night and i refussed to pay it saying if i payed it to her cousin ill have the £170 and £230 in my bank today as i had to extend my account. police are involved but looks like i wont be getting my phone back

Login to Me Too

a-p
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, did you manage to get your phone back?

Has anyone been succesful in claiming compensation from PayPal or eBay?

Login to Me Too

karaxlouise

Did you manage to get compesation? If so, could you message me please?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.