Gift Addresses in US for Canadian Accounts

JWF
New Community Member

I live in Canada on the US border. I often buy from US web stores for delivery to a nearby US address. I have registered this address with my credit card company; but some websites will not accept a Canadian credit card, but they do accept PayPal, but require the address be registered with PayPal. Can this US address be registered, the form does not allow the country to be changed.

Login to Me Too
36 REPLIES 36

MedodiousLar
Contributor
Contributor

Misty,

Why not?  Especially to the U.S.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi gartho and MedodiousLar, and welcome to the forums!

PayPal_Frank had a really descriptive post that answered your questions a few months back in this thread. This link should take you directly there, but if it does not, you can change your post view in the "More topic options" dropdown menu toward the top of this page. Select Sort Oldest to Newest, and you'll find Frank's answer on page 3.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

agl
New Community Member

So, I heard a "no you can't do that," and nothing else.  No reason why, no explanation, no estimate of time to fix it etc. etc.

So, that's fine if PayPal wishes to remain awkward.     I just ask the seller if they will ship to a USA address because there isn't a way to change it on PayPal, and none have refused.

Login to Me Too

superss
Contributor
Contributor

In this day & age it is ridiculous that you can't create a gift address outside of Canada.  Get global, I have multiple passports &  relatives throughout the world.   When visiting I will frequently have things shipped to them.  I guess this is just one of those things that shows the limitations of paypal & the benefits of my AMEX card.

Login to Me Too

dutchca
Contributor
Contributor

I want to add a US address to my Canadian account.

Why won't Pay Pal allow this?  In this day and age, global shopping is not an exception, it is the norm.

I know we can't do this, I and many others want to know WHY we can't add a US address.  When is paypal going to change this rediculous rule?

Time to wise up - my 3.5% fees are just as good as US Residents' fees.....

Login to Me Too

boblepp

I, too, would like to ship a purchase to the USA and cannot. This is real bush league, amateurish.

Boycotting Paypal and ebay is the only solution I guess. Some inbred US programmer has decided that friends outside of one's own country simply do not exist. While this may be true of Americans it cannot be said for many other countries.

We'll see what happens when they run out of oil and water and beaver pelts, then we'll get our way.

Has anyone attempted a second Paypal account disguised as an American resident? or is it clever enough to reject the Canadian Visa card?

(LOL... "Paypal" and "eBay" are invalid according to the spell checker... what can we expect? It suggested "papal" to replace Paypal.... guffaw.

Login to Me Too

historian1974

You are all certain that PayPal and Ebay are responsible for the inter-country blocks.  You are cussing and blaming very freely.  Have you thought that the problem might be with the international LAW on currency transfers and international LAW on banking and settlements?

Ebay and PayPal are not ALWAYS the demons.

Login to Me Too

jedaffra
Contributor
Contributor

"You are all certain that PayPal and Ebay are responsible for the inter-country blocks.  You are cussing and blaming very freely.  Have you thought that the problem might be with the international LAW on currency transfers and international LAW on banking and settlements?"

"Ebay and PayPal are not ALWAYS the demons."

Your arguments are rubbish.

I can travel to the United States and by what ever I like with my Canadian Visa - the same VISA on file with PayPal.

VISA is only too happy to accept my purchase and charge me the exchange fees.

Login to Me Too

cincin17
Contributor
Contributor

@boblepp wrote:

I, too, would like to ship a purchase to the USA and cannot. This is real bush league, amateurish.

Boycotting Paypal and ebay is the only solution I guess. Some inbred US programmer has decided that friends outside of one's own country simply do not exist. While this may be true of Americans it cannot be said for many other countries.

We'll see what happens when they run out of oil and water and beaver pelts, then we'll get our way.

Has anyone attempted a second Paypal account disguised as an American resident? or is it clever enough to reject the Canadian Visa card?

(LOL... "Paypal" and "eBay" are invalid according to the spell checker... what can we expect? It suggested "papal" to replace Paypal.... guffaw.

I've tried to add a Canadian card in a PayPal US account and it doesn't let you change the billing address to Canada.  PayPal used to allow US addresses until this last year or so when they made changes. I've spoken to customer service multiple times, as I live between US and Canada and this is extremely inconvenient, and they will not do anything.

Login to Me Too

Just_Peachy11

I'm also having the same problem.

To the guy above saying "Maybe it is international law [because of currency differences].." What about when  you purchase from an international seller?  They do the currency conversion for you; it's not a problem.  

However, if there is another legit legal or otherwise solid reason for why this is such an issue to allow, that is completely understandable, but they should give us those details.  It's a customer care courtesy for the service their company is providing. 

I guess we will all just have to create a second USA account?  Which is extremely pointless, but none-the-less functional as well for some people... for those who can't, well I guess pay-pal is loosing their business. I can guarentee many people will be so enraged without an explaination they will discontinue use with pay-pal. It's unfortunate.... me? well I'm advocating for those people.. I'll just make another account. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.