Who's Manchester man

Adj76
New Community Member

I'm having the problem as well. I made a payment to a seller for an item which I think all went well. Then I received 5 emails, the first from from [removed] saying that a new device had logged in to my account and that I could remove the device in my security settings if I did not want the device remembered. The name was manchester man uk and it was from a Chrome windows 10 and I live nowhere near Manchester. I went to settings and deleted it but I've no idea what Manchester man is all about, please enlighten me.

now I've had another one the same, should I delete that as well or will I get a new message about a new device logging in every time I delete one, in which case I could be sat here deleting these messages for the rest of my life which would be most tiresome as I've got loads of other things I need to be doing

looking forward to your reply

Adj76.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @Adj76

Welcome to the PayPal Community! 

I'm sorry to hear about the concerning emails you received and the potential unauthorized logins. If you haven't already, please reset your password and security questions. I also suggest adding 2-Step Verification on your PayPal account to add another layer of security. Some internet providers may show a different location from where you are, but if you haven't had any changes personally, do your device or internet, then I would err on the side of caution. If you used your PayPal password with any other website, please change the password on those sites, too. If you notice any unauthorized transactions, you can report them by following the steps on our Help Center here

I hope this information helps! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Peter_SW
New Community Member

Hi, 

This may not be a security issue; the system is registering your device IP in Manchester instead of where you actually are. 

If you notice an IP location is incorrect, this may be due to the internet provider (ISP) reporting incorrect location data. Another possible cause of this issue could come from users that are going through a proxy server that is being hosted in a different area than the user.

Hope this helps 

Login to Me Too

greeme61
Contributor
Contributor

I have had this problem. I removed the device and changed my password in case it was dodgy . Have I done enough? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @greeme61

Welcome to the PayPal Community!

I'm glad to hear you were able to change your password and remove the device. To add an extra layer of security, I also recommend setting up 2-Step Verification. However, if you don't notice any unauthorized transactions or activity that need to be reported, it's likely due to the ISP, as @Peter_SW mentioned. You wouldn't need to do anything else to secure your account further. 

Best wishes! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

greeme61
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have set up 2 step verification,  and to date I've had no further problems.  Thank you. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.