Seller sends package to wrong address

NIKKI4466
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an item on ebay and started messaging the seller he never responded and had zero feedback so I figured it was a scam and I would get my money back after the estimated delivery date. I tried once again to contact seller before filing dispute no answer from him. So after I file he sends tracking info and it said it was already delivered but I never received anything. So I call usps and they tell me that the tracking number for the package was marked with another address not mine but same city and zip. So the seller sent the package to the wrong address and now I'm out of money and the package. And yes my address has always been the same on my eBay and paypal account it has never changed. Shouldn't I get my money back from the seller?

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

HOHO7
Contributor
Contributor
Ask paypal call ups check informed address delivery, asked seller give receipt show he mailed to your address , dispute credit card
Login to Me Too

PunkRocketeer
Contributor
Contributor

Yun Express shipping of China is not helpful!  I was unaware when I bought that the company was actually in China masquerading as an American company.  PayPal customer service had no interest in making things right.  They say they have shipping information from Yun Express that it was sent to my address; however, the tracking number I got went to the wrong address in Texas, NOT California, and I never got a new address.  If it had been sent to my address, then it would have been captured on one of my Ring cameras.  Don't buy from Facebook or Instagram ads, and never use PayPal!

Login to Me Too

PunkRocketeer
Contributor
Contributor

I am now closing my PayPal account, as they have lost all credibility with me for Internet purchases.  There are better options out there, like GooglePay and Amazon Wallet.  I can't find the original shipping information in my email that shows it was sent to the wrong state and the company Starstool.net (a front for JINZHOU NETWORK TECHNOLOGY CO., LIMITED) sent fabricated delivery information to PayPal showing it was delivered to my address.  They informed me to contact Yun Express of China for a shipping log - no way to do that.  All I can say is beware of buying from Facebook or Instagram ads, as they may look legit but are fronts for Chinese companies that swindle you!

Login to Me Too

phenders2
Contributor
Contributor

The issue for me is that USPS does not provide the actual delivery address on its tracking information.  Accordingly, I have sent a letter to USPS requesting a change in their policy.  Below is a copy of my letter.  Feel free to copy, and send your own letter to USPS, filling in the time/date/address details for your incidence.

USPS Corporate Office Headquarters HQ
<removed>

Dear Sir/Madam:

I am writing to request a policy change for your USPS tracking on USPS.com, to avoid potential USPS based scams.

Please include the actual delivery address in your tracking/delivery information provided to customers.  Currently it only includes a local town/city address.  For example, “Your item was delivered at the front door or porch at ?:50 pm on February 1, 2021 in <some city>, <state> <zip code>.”

For online purchases paid through PayPal a scammer will send a cheap replacement, or simply an empty envelope, to another delivery address in the same town/city.  PayPal denies a request for resolution, claiming the seller provided proof of delivery using USPS tracking information. 

The PayPal Community has numerous accounts of this deceptive practice – PayPal Community > Help Community > Disputes and Limitations > Re: Seller sends package to wrong address.

Including the actual delivery address in the USPS Tracking information would greatly help to reduce this deceptive practice/scam.

Thank you, and sincerely,

Login to Me Too

ron1
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me. I had never heard of this scam before. It seems way too easy. So I get a text from USPS that my package was dropped at front door or porch. I don't have a porch but checked everywhere for hours. Went to the post office and discovered they shipped it to a different address in my zip code. The description was small package 3lbs. I ordered a guitar body that weights at least 8 lbs because I already own a few of the same item and it is not "small".

So, obvious scam. Paypal pretty much told me to kick rocks. Filed a chargeback on my credit card and they did it but the scam seller can still contest it and I get charged again. So, now it's back to the PO and start collecting documentation for the fight. Thanks for NOTHING paypal. I trusted the purchase because they accepted paypal only to find out paypal is an enabler that automatically sides with the scammer and does ZERO investigation. Been with paypal 20 years and this is only my 2nd dispute. I won the 1st one because seller never sent anything. All the seller had to do was ship a worthless anything to anyone else in my zip code and I get **bleep**.

Login to Me Too

Theorist

Is Paypal serious not doing anything about this?  His seems to be a very wide common scam now.  What is the point of using Paypal if they can't even protect you against the most OBVIOUS scam?  Why bother using their service if they don't address this wide spreading scam.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Theorist

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear there's been some concern regarding the trend described above. PayPal's fraud teams work continuously to identify and prevent fraud before it occurs. PayPal also works with law enforcement around the world to stop online criminals when possible. For safety and security reasons, that information would not be able to be shared with the public, but if you find yourself victim to this kind of activity, our support teams are here to help. There may be certain information needed to issue a refund on a dispute, however all of that will be communicated through our Resolution Center. You can find more about our Dispute process here. 

I hope you find this information useful, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

ron1
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what I found. Paypal initially does some AI crap to try to resolve it and will side with the scammer because it is not a human. Just wait it out a few days and Paypal will make good. In my case I reversed the charges on my bank card and once you do that Paypal just default closes the case. Either way you are covered and WILL be refunded. They just make it a more convoluted process when you are dealing with AI bots and not actual humans. Us humans tend to be a bit impatient especially if we suspect we are being ripped off. The AI bots on the other hand.... They don't feel things like worry, fear, impatience and the such. 

It is a new age and a new world. We have not yet adjusted. The AI bots don't care about adjusting.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.