Seller Protection

jdelange2
New Community Member

We listed a Gibson J 200 e online and a buyer was interested in purchasing. We talked to the local bank for a money transfer and we were advised to go through paypal or a similar site for our safety. Inevitably, we decided to use PayPal.

The buyer had several contacts with us. We sent multiple pictures and live videos of the instrument being played. Basically, the buyer got everything he wanted for information and decided he would purchase. We decided to use paypal as a safe payment system, as we were leery of shipping across the country and wanted to make sure it was a safe way to ensure payment.

After the buyer received the guitar, he changed his mind and wanted to return it. We stated all sales were final at time of purchase and did not agree to the return. Along with this, we shipped the guitar to Florida from South Dakota and covered the shipping fee and then also had the cost of the PayPal fees. Because we refused the return, the buyer filed a case stating that the guitar was defective and PayPal allowed him to return the guitar due to buyer protection policies.

When we received the guitar back, it was damaged and electronic hook up was dismantled from the body of the guitar. I took pictures of this as soon as we got the guitar back and filed the evidence through the claim in the resolution center. I also talked to an agent on the phone and was told I did what I needed to do and the case would be reviewed. I was told several times that it would be taken care of and not to worry. Fast forward, the case was closed in the buyers favor without any reasoning. I called PayPal again and an agent told me that I  was still protected under the sellers protection policy. Again, I sent messages and didn't really get a firm answer as to how PayPal was going to handle the situation for the damage of the guitar other than the case was still under review. 

After a few more weeks of the case being "reviewed", I was told that my negative balance was going to go to collections unless I resolved it. I informed the PayPal agent, I wanted the claim resolved and seller protection for the damage of the guitar before I would refund any money. Due to the frustration of being sent to collections, I reached out again and basically was told I needed to file a case through the FBI as a solution to the damage and was supplied with a website to file the claim. I was also told I needed to personally reach out to the buyers financial institution to file a claim. I have not received any helpful information through all the messages and calls through paypal even though they claim, everything looked favorable and that we will be protected through the seller protection.

I have yet to receive a message as to how paypal is taking care of this situation. In the last message, I was then told to reach out to the shipping company and file a claim due to the damage. Because of the lack of communication and the poor messaging system paypal uses, I am now unable to file a claim through UPS because I am out of the 60 day claim window even though I have proof I filed a claim through paypay within a day of receiving the guitar from the buyer. I have just the had the go around with paypal and have never got any direct answers with this claim. I need answers and then I will be deleting my PayPal account.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jdelange2 

In the event of an item received but not as described it is always one persons word against anothers.

So if paypal find for the buyer then the buyer has to return the item back to you at their own expense before you have to refund.

However as to whether the item was damaged when you sent it OR the buyer damaged it then again its one persons word against the others. So if you received it damaged then its up to you to pursue a claim via any insurance taken out on the items return OR private action against the buyer.

The claim had already been settled in the buyers favour so seller protection would not apply as you lost the claim.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.