Scammed through Friends & Family

jforbes15
New Community Member

recently scammed due to my own mistakes of not doing much research, he told me to send through friends and family. is there anything at all i could do to get my money back? 

Login to Me Too
95 REPLIES 95

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@G1773y 

Good for you, if more folks used some common sense and realised friends/family meant exactly that they would not get scammed either.

You can report but unfortunately if they are not a web site owner advertising only using the friends/family option then its unlikely anything will be done.

HOWEVER paypal do check on a random basis f/f payments and if they see a seller is using that option to sell then they get a permanent ban.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

G1773y
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks where can I report this? Only option I can find is if I completed the transaction.
Login to Me Too

ALEXANDRBOG
Contributor
Contributor

Why hasn't PayPal introduced an option for users to report issues and submit evidence directly? It's quite concerning that PayPal is being exploited for criminal activities. The lack of such a feature could significantly tarnish its reputation. If users had the ability to report suspicious transactions and provide proof, it would enhance the platform's security and trustworthiness. The absence of this crucial functionality might lead people to consider alternatives, as they seek platforms that offer better protection and responsiveness to fraudulent activities. It's imperative for PayPal to address this gap swiftly to maintain user confidence and prevent a potential shift towards competitors. 

Login to Me Too

ALEXANDRBOG
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone, I too have fallen victim to scams involving 'family and friend' transfers. While I understand that these types of transactions lack buyer protection, it's disheartening to see PayPal being misused by scammers. I propose that PayPal introduces an added feature in their issue reporting section. This would include an option such as 'Report a scam for this transaction.' My intention isn't to get a refund, but rather to alert PayPal about potential fraudulent activities associated with a specific account. If implemented, PayPal could display a warning for future transactions, like 'Caution: This account has been flagged for suspicious activity.' This would serve as a critical reminder for users to reconsider and verify before proceeding with their transaction.

Login to Me Too

Loony_Phoenix
Contributor
Contributor
I still think Pay Pal are avoiding the issue regarding Scams conducted under ‘Friends and Family’…. When you are completing the ‘Transaction’ you are assuming that they are friends ( or family) .. but that’s the whole point of scamming… Pay Pal need to take responsibility.
Login to Me Too

ALEXANDRBOG
Contributor
Contributor

I am just wondering if there is a platform where we can share proposals for a PayPal on how to improve their security level with a voting system. We can propose for them my recent proposal: " I propose that PayPal introduces an added feature in their issue reporting section. This would include an option such as 'Report a scam for this transaction.' My intention isn't to get a refund but rather to alert PayPal about potential fraudulent activities associated with a specific account. If implemented, PayPal could display a warning for future transactions, like 'Caution: This account has been flagged for suspicious activity.' This would serve as a critical reminder for users to reconsider and verify before proceeding with their transaction.

And let their clients vote. I think only this can change the situation with scammers.

Guys, please share your thoughts. Have a nice day, everyone!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.