Received invoice from one seller which I didn't make any purchase. Is it a scam?

MichaelCHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I received a notification from PayPal that someone sent me an invoice to make a payment of USD 500 for purchasing a anti virus software which I didn't make. Could I just leave it like that with out paying or how do I cancel or report this?

Login to Me Too
818 REPLIES 818

MaggieThePointe
Contributor
Contributor

I have received invoices from various persons for a subscription to Norton for 600.00+. Why am I receiving these "invoices" and how do I make them go away?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MaggieThePointe 

Sounds like a scam money request or invoice.

Scammers harvest email addresses and send out those requests hoping some email addresses are linked to paypal accounts and the unsuspecting recipient 'may' pay them not realising they are scams.

If its actually showing in your paypal account (often just an email) then if there is a cancel option cancel it, if not ignore it and hopefully it should time out at some point. 

As long as you don't click to pay it then no money should be transferred.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PenguinLordAh
Contributor
Contributor

reply-to: Billing Team[removed]

date: Sep 20, 2022, 9:59 AM

subject: Estimate from Billing Team (0068)

Hello, [removed]

Here's your estimate

Billing Team sent you an estimate for $499.00 USD.

View Your Estimate

Seller note to customer

Dear Customer, Your Payment $499. 00 of BTC from Coin Base has been approved successfully, This transaction will appear in the automatically deducted amount on PayPal activity and Bank statement after 24 hours. If you suspect you did not make this transaction, Immediately contact us at the toll-free number [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]or visit the PayPal support center area for assistance. [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/p>

PayPal RT000634:en_US(en-US):1.1.0:f955626f8d434

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PenguinLordAh 

If its a spoof then NEVER USE ANY LINK OR ANY PHONE NUMBER.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

Also if they ask you to call the number in the email then it would be fake paypal agents trying to scam you for money to 'fix' something. 

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email / download an attachment OR phone them on a number in an email, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-spot-and-report-a-fake%2C-fraudulent%2C-or-phis...
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Aline_D
New Community Member

I've just received the *exact* same email, for the *exact* same amount... and it wasn't even sent to an email account linked to PayPal.

Say it with me : SCAM !

Login to Me Too

Adjamal
New Community Member
I received email from ‘billing team’ with subject ‘Invoice from billing team (0123). Saying that the billing team sent you invoice for $499.00USD ..... What it is? It is scamp?
Login to Me Too

KM95
New Community Member

I also received an email from “Invoice from Billing Department of PayPal (0012)” for an amount of 800.00. At the top it said Hello, Salas [removed], which is not my name. Also looks like the item was for a IPHONE 11 64GB. I logged into my PayPal account safely from my app link and I do not see this invoice. I am assuming it is a phishing scheme and am not clicking on the email links.

Login to Me Too

kajamix
New Community Member

I rceived a scam invoice for 479 usd purportedly from Amazon.com but I never bought anything from Amazon.com.
I proceeded to cancel it and paypal says it was a scam and they are investigating it.
This came by email and they wanted to lure me to press "accept" which I did n't of course.
But it was also inside my account when I logged in (and from there I cancelled it).
How is that possible ? An invoice inside my account when I never used a buy button ?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kajamix 

Sounds like a scam money request or invoice.

Scammers harvest email addresses and send out those requests hoping some email addresses are linked to paypal accounts and the unsuspecting recipient 'may' pay them not realising they are scams.

If there is a cancel option then cancel it, if not ignore it and hopefully it should time out at some point. 

As long as you don't click to pay it then no money should be transferred.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

dammstrate
New Community Member

I have two invoices that are invalid and scam.  I spent 20 min on the phone with a Paypal supervisor who says they are indeed invalid and no longer available.  That's nice, but can't get them to disappear.  There is supposed to be a "cancel" button, but it does not exist.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.