Received invoice from one seller which I didn't make any purchase. Is it a scam?

MichaelCHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I received a notification from PayPal that someone sent me an invoice to make a payment of USD 500 for purchasing a anti virus software which I didn't make. Could I just leave it like that with out paying or how do I cancel or report this?

Login to Me Too
815 REPLIES 815

RHH21
New Community Member

I have 2 Get Money links on dashboard (cash and bit-coin) and I want to know how to find the sources before I accept.

Login to Me Too

FunHedgie
Contributor
Contributor

I heard that a lot of people are starting to receive emails from what seems to be PayPal. But it is not.

The email/image states "Here's your estimate. The billing department of Paypal sent you an estimate for £500.00 GBP. View your estimate"

to me, it looks like a compromised PayPal business account is used to send estimates to email addresses publicly scrapable. The telephone number in the "notes to customer" section is not PayPal.

I think it's quite clever tbh. It won't get blocked by any spam filters... as it's actually from PayPal.

What do you guys think about this?

pay.jpg

Login to Me Too

xandrik
New Community Member

I got this today. Came here to see if it's legit. Looks legit so I cancelled some work meeting to try and address.

Coming from [removed]

xandrik_1-1666122846058.png

View your estimate link is: https://www.paypal.com/invoice/estimate/buyerView/details/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...

Login to Me Too

FunHedgie
Contributor
Contributor

It is not legit at all. A scam article by Brian Krebs gives a good explanation on this it's called "PayPal Phishing Scam Uses Invoices Sent Via PayPal"

Login to Me Too

wiegert53
New Community Member

Hello Community,

Today I received an email from this email address which apparently doesn't really exist. [removed]
This was an invoice for a bit coin purchase which of course I didn't make. I've been getting a lot of these phishing emails lately.

Have a nice day.

Login to Me Too

Mayres457
New Community Member

I received an invoice from Apple for $1099.00 for a new 1T Apple iPhone.  I didn't order this, nor did anyone in my family.   I canceled the invoice and sent a message to Apple saying I had no idea who order this but to cancel the invoice as I wasn't going to pay it.  Is this all I need to do?  How do I keep this from happening in the future? 

Mayres457

Login to Me Too

Rayfox82
Contributor
Contributor

today I recently look at the Inbox and I an Invoice from an E-mail I don't recognize I even have the attachmentWho is this?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rayfox82 

If its a spoof then NEVER USE ANY LINK OR ANY PHONE NUMBER.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

Also if they ask you to call the number in the email then it would be fake paypal agents trying to scam you for money to 'fix' something. 

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email / download an attachment OR phone them on a number in an email, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-spot-and-report-a-fake%2C-fraudulent%2C-or-phis...
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Rayfox82
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, this is the first I got something like this, my mother got one those E-mails and she doesn't even use Paypal for anything

Login to Me Too

danrothesq
Contributor
Contributor

This sure has the look of a scam.  Be real careful, real careful!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.