Payment to Coinbase Global, Inc

kibblemom
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email titled "You've sent a payment" which included the statement: "Your Payment was sent to Coinbase Global in exchange for 0.014 Bitcoin. Thank You for using PayPal to complete your purchase of $649.99. Please note that the transaction may take up to 72 hours to reflect on your bank statement." It listed PayPal Support at: [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]which is not in the typical US format and does not correspond to the number on the PayPal site, so I'm thinking this is a scam. There is nothing listed as recent or pending in my PayPal account corresponding to this purchase, which I definitely did not make. The return address is a gmail account. Has anyone else received something like this and do I need to be concerned for my PayPal account? There are no links to click and I obviously haven't called the phone number.

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Frankie1977 and @mchristo75

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I can certainly understand how receiving an email like that can be a bit concerning. First, I'd recommend not clicking on any of the links in the email in case it is not from PayPal. Here's a great article on How to spot a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email. 

You can also log into your PayPal account to see if there are any transactions present you didn't authorize. Do not use any links in the email you received to log into your account. If you do see transactions you don't recognize, here's how to report them: How do I report an unauthorized transaction or account activity?

I hope that helps. Please don't hesitate to reach out to our Customer Support teams if you run into any hiccups along the way. 

Best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

tpbowk
New Community Member
Me too!
Login to Me Too

Felecias727
New Community Member
This is not me can somebody help me
Login to Me Too

Jla8
Coinbase Global inc same email saying thanks for purchasing 459ish saying call 24 hours to cancel, it'll and it says there's a order on its way in the subject. I am worried about opening the email and downloading the "details" and it only lists amounts, invoice number etc and the 24 number/warning.
Login to Me Too

RubyNeal

I received the same kind of email also today. The amount and time to call their number to respond were slightly different. Looks like a scam, walks like a scam, talks like a scam, smells like a scam.... it's pretty much guaranteed to be a scam. Naturally, I checked my real PayPal app transaction history, and search here and the web in general to confirm my suspicions. Almost wish I had a burner cellphone to call that number and play headgames with the scammers who answer like you see in those scam the scammer youtube videos 🤓

PS: I did forward the email to the phishing at paypal address.... where they've probably already collected a bazillion already...

Login to Me Too

mckaywm
Contributor
Contributor

I accidentally clicked on the View and Pay button on the email and it took me to the below screenshot. Further below is a screenshot of the email. I forwarded the email to phishing at paypal.com

mckaywm_0-1673447051211.png

mckaywm_1-1673447093016.png

Login to Me Too

Bruut557
Contributor
Contributor

Got now 2 similar messages 20th and 21st to my alternative email address that isn't linked with paypal account. Reported/replied them both to phishing@paypal.com

Scammers are using my alternative email leaked by some website probably to target this scam. Hope paypal gets hang of this and manages to block the scammers from spamming.

Login to Me Too

RMDrone
Contributor
Contributor

I have two emails of this type.

Now I check and I have been permanently limited.

Really?

How can this be my fault?

I haven't even accessed PayPal for years. I was hoping to come back and see if there have been any changes.

Blame the senders of this fake billers who accessed my PayPal.

Not me.

This makes no sense.

I have not done anything wrong!

(I have been scammed in the past on PayPal, however.)

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @RMDrone

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear your account has been permanently limited. An account may be limited for a few different reasons, but normally it's in an attempt to confirm information on the owner, business, or explain activity on an account. However, if an account is permanently limited, it may be due to some kind violation of our Acceptable Use Policy. You normally receive an email detailing as much information as possible regarding the limitation. You're welcome to reach out to our Customer Support teams with any questions you may have, but please keep in mind they are normally unable to overturn this kind of decision. 

My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

billingteam
Contributor
Contributor

Call Paypal Customer Support Number :-[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/p>

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.