PayPal account was hacked, money stolen and no help from PayPal

Temp20221020ad
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, My account was hacked and there appeared an unauthorized transaction on my account sent to David <removed>, whom I do not know and never had business with. I immediately changed my password and opened a case for refund. However PayPal refused my appeal explaining that they did not find evidence that the transaction was unauthorized. Person in customer service explained that it looks like transaction was made from the same computer as usual, which is not possible as it was off at the moment of transaction. Even though if they would REALLY investigate this case I am sure they would definitely find out that the different IP address was used. As my Google account was hacked few days later and I could clearly see the IP was wrong even though Google system would show it is &quot;the same computer as usual&quot;. I have opened this case 5 times and there was no help at all from PayPal. Already filed a report to the cyber police. PayPal safety system is very low and their investigation is useless and moreover I see they are very rude and unhelpful towards fraud victims of their poor system. If any one had the same problem and managed to resolve it please share your strategy.

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

kirby18
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have been using paypal for almost 10 years now and never had an issue.

But yesterday I suddenly receive notifications on my phone paypal app about multiple payments to multiple sellers.

I was in panic and I went to change my paypal password immediately and the purchase stopped, but about $1500 AUD still went through.

I immediately trying to contact paypal by phone, but no one was answering and was redirected to open a case to dispute and so I did as they were not authorised transaction.

But my case was closed a few hours later, and PayPal says that they were authorised transaction.

I am really devastated and do not know what to do.

I am really disappointed with PayPal customer service and also concern with their security as they described those fraudulent transactions as an 'authorised' one.

Currently, I am working with police and my bank to sort this one out and trying to reach the sellers as well.

Hope will get sorted soon.

Login to Me Too

Temp20230522y

Same here! Hacker got into PayPal and use my account to move money from other people's accounts and then set up a Debit Card and did instant withdrawals to remove the stolen money. Opened a claim that was closed within 24 hours. They said the hundreds of transactions that occurred between 2 am and 5 am were not considered fraudulent even though I rarely use my PayPal account. We spoke to a couple representatives at PayPal who agreed that the transactions did not look normal based on my account activity and set up a Fraud case. It happened on 8/27 and we haven't heard anything from a person at PayPal and cannot get through on Customer Service (phone and online). Collections keep calling though to try and collect the stolen balance of money and we explained how we filed claims and fraud cases but they can't tell us anything. They wouldn't even refer us to a supervisor. We plan to file a police report, get a lawyer involved and we have started using social media and local media to try and get someone from PayPal to let us know what they are doing to resolve this situation or at least, to let others know about this huge security breach at PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Kitakat
Contributor
Contributor
Have any of you got these issues resolved? My account just got hacked with language changed to French and all my personal information changed too. I contacted PayPal and filed a dispute against these unauthorized transactions of $1000 that was withdrawn from my bank account and into someone’s credit card. PayPal claims there is no unauthorized use even though all the personal information was changed. How is that even possible? I am so livid at how they are handling this situation.
Login to Me Too

ozGremlin
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly the same scenario as the original poster. 

My Paypal account was accessed while I was asleep, and while my system were all turned off. I have firewall logs from my house, and traffic data from the ISP that show I did not access any Paypal-related system in a 4-hour period either side of when the transaction took place. There is clear evidence that someone has been accessing my account from outside the country where I live.

My first case with Paypal was closed within hours - exactly as described by the original poster. After contacting Paypal by phone, a second case was raised, but was then closed with no information supplied. 

Bottom line, Paypal is knowingly assisting with online fraud.

Login to Me Too

Tgreilly55
Same exact thing happened to me they also said that it was an authorized charge made from my computer.
Login to Me Too

stefaniaiulia

Did the cyber police do anything? I had a similar problem today. Woke up with 3 emails: 1. Someone introduced a card, 2. Stole all my money, 3. Removed the card. I called PayPal's security department, but I didn't get any refund. It was as useful as reporting a comment on Facebook. I don't even know what they verify there. Why can't they verify the IP from which the login was made? My Google account was hacked too and it showed me the country where the login was made. I really don't know what to do. I doubt that police could help me in any way.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @stefaniaiulia

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear a recent dispute for unauthorized activity hasn't gone quite as you had expected. I can certainly understand how concerning it can be. PayPal reviews multiple factors when making a decision for a case like this, including but not limited to past and present login activity. While these decisions are not normally ones that can be overturned or reversed, you're welcome to reach out to our Customer Support teams if you have questions or concerns regarding the case decision.

Best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

rodgere1
Contributor
Contributor

My PayPal was hacked! Someone Purchased over $500 in Lego!

I can't get a hold of ANYONE!

PP already denied the claim and I can't reopen or elevate the claim.

You reported a problem with this transaction. See the status of your case in the Resolution Center.
Paid with
PayPal balance$555.84
on May 22, 2023

Login to Me Too

Temp20230718a
New Community Member
Exact same thing happened to me. I noticed multiple unauthorised transactions on my account. I immediately reported them to PayPal and ten mins later got an email from PayPal saying they had investigated and found that the transactions were NOT unauthorised! I’m the account holder, and I DIDNT authorise them. So wtaf. Clearly I’ve been hacked. Pay pal can eff off.
Login to Me Too

Yassier

I just found out today that my paypal was sending money to a person called Sari [removed] [removed] and this person who was in my acc sent almost $100 which was the remaining money i had left for the month. I sent a report to Paypal Resolution Centre but they said this instead:

"Case status:Closed

Thank you for reporting this case. After our review, we found that certain transactions weren't unauthorized and hence couldn't be covered by PayPal Purchase Protection."

So now I have no way of claiming my money back. All I want is my money back.

Please help me get my money back Paypal not asking much.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.