PAYPAL *TOTALAV" unauthorised payment

suepearson430
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I have had £118.80 taken from my bank account showing PAYPAL *TOTALAV" I have no idea what this is, I did not ask for this transaction and when reporting to paypal just got a reply that 

We've completed our review of your unauthorised activity case, and we’ve determined there was no unauthorised use

I dont know what totalav is, How can it be removed from my bank account without my knowledge or permission?

When I spoke to my bank, they said that there have been a lot of reports about the same matter and transported me to a dedicated phone live for this very thing that paypal has set up. 

I dont understand why if paypal are investigating these transactions I would get this very uninformative reply, with paypal basically washing their hands about this charge on my account. 

Has anybody else had any dealings with this type of payment, or can explain to me how and why this has happened please.

Many thanks.

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

MarshaAndrews
Contributor
Contributor
TotalAV from my experience is a slick scam. I tripped over a charge they made on my PayPal account & was able to get it cancelled right away. I was lucky but other people not so much. They will go to any length to **bleep** you around. Their website shows a 5 star review on Trustpilot but no way to access Trustpilot. All roads lead back to their website. I get the impression they are trying to garner credibility. I did a separate search to find this site. Be very, very careful & read the reviews!!! I just tried to set a date of December 2022. All attempts still end up with today's date. This company is a master at **bleep** people around.
Login to Me Too

HI i am new on site i have been caught for £9.95 its not the money its the thought it was done through PayPal i use PayPal thinking i would be safer  how stupid was i  and very disappointed wondering weather to look for alterative if there is one, investigation in the blink of an eye disappointed they were judge jury and  executioner the more i read the more disillusioned i am becoming  i am 76 wife worries about me on comp with good reason when this kind of thing happens taking a lot more time to read  every thing i do, taking the joy my daughter keeps an eye on my comp work to add insult to injury the cheeky **bleep**  they offered me deal i told them where to shove it   "where the  sun don't shine"

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20240123ZC 

A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product and forget to cancel. As a buyer you must agree to a billing agreement/subscription before a merchant can take a payment from your PayPal account.
If you don't notice during checkout OR don't cancel then it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting.

Check if you had a subscription set up and cancel it?
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

1971derek
New Community Member
Unauthorised payment twice
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.