Jefferson Capital Debt Collectors

1am12
Contributor
Contributor

Looking to understand if this is legit. A relative of mine recieved a LETTER (not an email like others have) from Jefferson Capital seeking collection of debt. This relative no longer has access to their account and it has been months maybe years that they were last logged in. This letter detailing their supposed debt is a surprise and we do not know if it is a scam or legit. Does anyone have any insight on how we can confirm if it is or not on paypal's end knowing we dont have access to that account? Also, if you too had to deal with a debt letter from Jefferson any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry that there has been any confusion regarding communication received from Jefferson Capital. Yes, PayPal has sold certain PayPal accounts with negative balances to Jefferson Capital Systems, LLC, who is a debt buyer. If PayPal has sold your account, we sent an email to the email address in our records, advising of the sale. 

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
33 REPLIES 33

ryanre28
New Community Member
I got an email explaining that I had a negative balance that was sold to “Jefferson Capital System”. I can’t get into my paypal account anymore. How do I take care of this?
Login to Me Too

Insignia_
Contributor
Contributor
Same here! Got mine through mail saying I owed $45 which can’t be true since I haven’t made any recent purchases that goes above $10?! I contacted paypal support through twitter and they said, “ It looks like the letter you've received is legit. You may have to contact the debt collector on the number provided in the mail you've received.” I don’t even have a routing number on my paypal account.
Login to Me Too

LukeMara72
New Community Member

I got an email and a letter stating that my Pay Pal account (possibly credit account) was sold to another party "Jefferson Capital Systems" My account, as far as I know, has been in good standing and I have not missed any payments, actually I pay more than required. Need help!!

Is my account being closed?

Is PP sending my account to a collection agency?

Is this an attempt to hack my account?

Or is this normal and I should not be too concerned?

I am confused and need some answers please.

Any information would be helpful.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LukeMara72 

It could just be a spoof email sent to spook/spam you.

Log in to your PayPal account from official PayPal website and check for any account alerts or notifications. If there is nothing corresponding to the email, then its a scam.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Yogigirl76
New Community Member
I received a notice of collection from Jefferson Capital regarding a PayPal account that I do not believe I ever had! The account is under a name that I have not used in over 10 years! There website will not provide me any additional information about the account and claims it is not responsible to provide me me with it either. What steps do I need to take to find this account within PayPal? I do not even believe I had an account in that name?
Login to Me Too

bisho9210
New Community Member

I got one too. Did you ever find out if it's legitimate? I've had my Paypal account since 2006 and I use it often... never had an outstanding balance. 

Login to Me Too

Googleit76
Same got a letter from Jefferson capital today..I've never had a negative paypal balance this is bs
Login to Me Too

sjacoer09
Contributor
Contributor

I received the same letter. I think it's bogus. I've never carried a balance on my PayPal account.

Login to Me Too

Googleit76
Got a collections letter today and I've never had a negative balance with PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.