Jefferson Capital Debt Collectors

1am12
Contributor
Contributor

Looking to understand if this is legit. A relative of mine recieved a LETTER (not an email like others have) from Jefferson Capital seeking collection of debt. This relative no longer has access to their account and it has been months maybe years that they were last logged in. This letter detailing their supposed debt is a surprise and we do not know if it is a scam or legit. Does anyone have any insight on how we can confirm if it is or not on paypal's end knowing we dont have access to that account? Also, if you too had to deal with a debt letter from Jefferson any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Login to Me Too
33 REPLIES 33

curiosa53
New Community Member

I received a letter too. My Paypal account is regular so, after asking for help to  customer service (and receiving none) I called the number on the letter. People answering had a thick and difficult to understand accent. They continued to ask for my social, which I did not give them. When I said that I never had the email associated with the "debt" they told me to go to the police, file a claim and send it to them... By the way,  they always ask for something that happened in 2018 knowing that PayPal goes only 24 months back.

Login to Me Too

Hondo17
Contributor
Contributor

I am writing this to reassure any other victims. I too received a call today (August 7, 2021) from Jefferson debt collectors. I immediately googled them, they are legit (as legit as a debt collector can be), located in Minnesota. Customer service rep had foreign accent. They guy said I owed Paypal like $190.00 dollars when in fact I have a positive balance of like $20.00. He was lightening quick to say "You can pay the off today can I have your credit card number?. I told him this was big mistake. He asked if i was associated with some B.S. email address he read off . I said absolutely not.  He was totally compliant, he said it was a mistake and removed the fake debt info. (on some level he must know this is BS)  It disturbed me he had my name and last 4 of social.  Somewhere along the way, a data leak or scam occurred. Im going to monitor my credit for awhile. I also recommend everyone take advantage of "annualcreditreport.com" every year. Its free.

Login to Me Too

alonsabedavis

Any update on this?  JCAP says I owe then 124.48 - but for what?  I logged into my paypal account and says i even have money waiting for me.  I am not sure how I owe these people money.  MD

Login to Me Too

jmw5555
New Community Member

We received the same letter- it states we owe money on a PayPal overdraft fee. It's a scam. We reported it to PayPal, Better Business Bureau, Federal Trade Commission, and 3 law firms filing class action lawsuits. Jefferson Capital Systems, founded in 1999, based in St. Cloud, MN, is a legitimate debt collection agency. So some of their work is legitimate/legal, but some is fraudulent- such as this letter claiming we owe money on a PayPal overdraft fee that never existed.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.