I have been scammed with Paxful

Richard678
Contributor
Contributor

Hi to everyone.
Yesterday I opened an account in Paypal, so it was my first time using this service and I wanted to buy some cryptocurrencies with Paypal because in my country is not allowed to buy them via Credit/Debit Card, So I decided to use Paypal because I saw that in the Website Paxful you can buy cryptocurrencies via Paypal so I opened this account and I find a seller in Paxful who it seems legit and I decided to make the purchase with him it was a purchase of $550 from the Crypto USDT and the seller offer to help me in this purchase so he was helping me step by step to send the money to him and all of that, and after that, I sent to him the money He told me that was a step left, and he made go to the transaction and report and issue and choose the option 'I did not receive the item' and then he told me to fill that randomly and then close it. I do not know why I accepted to do it, for a moment I thought it was because he wanted to avoid some taxes and maybe that was the reason for the procedure, the issue was that once I did all of that he told me that he did not receive all the money and that He needed the rest but I sent to him the exact amount, just to clarify all this chat was in Paxful.

And then I told him that he can send me just the amount that he received but he was telling me that he wanted the rest, like a was telling you I sent him $550 and he received $525.50, and he was telling me that he needs the rest to proceed to send me the crypto so I offer to him to give me the refund and just leave it to him the fees for try to helping me, but now the seller does not want to provide me the refund and then I realized that the create the case it was for that, to avoid me to create a new case and receive the refund, I tried to contact to customer service from Paypal and they told me that I cannot do anything because I closed the case so I do know what to do I do not know if someone can help with this giving me some idea to retrieve that money, please.. 😞

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Richard678 

If you funded the paypal payment via a card then talk to your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Richard678
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 
Hi, thank you for your response.
I talked with the bank and they told me that I need to wait to see the charge in my bank statement to proceed to help me, but I'm not sure if they will be able to help due that it's a debit card. 😞

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Richard678 

Some banks will as a goodwill gesture for a long term customer, BUT that is in my country and not sure about where you are and if its the same there?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Richard678
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 
Oh, I'm from El Salvador so I doubt that the bank does that to me.

But like I was telling you, I have proofs that the seller offered me the refund but his/her account was limited after that I did the payment so maybe with that info Paypal could do something, even I have all the conversation with him/her in my Paxful profile so maybe that could help :c

And I say him/her because in the profile of Paxful appears a name from a 'boy' but in the Paypal account shows a 'girl' name.

And I still can't believe that I was manipulated to close the case and still did not realize at that moment 😞

Login to Me Too

themanwhohodl
Contributor
Contributor
Wish i found this before i got scammed. I had the same issues. I got scammed by a guy from kenya called manuBobby in paxful. He scammed me $1000 . Beware guys.
Login to Me Too

Richard678
Contributor
Contributor

@themanwhohodl 

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear that, the person who scammed me was from Kenya too, so take care with users from that country.

Just a question, did you close the commerce after you paid to the scammer in Paxful?

Login to Me Too

Richard678
Contributor
Contributor

@themanwhohodl 

Just let me tell you that at the end of the day Paypal helped me to re-open the dispute, but first of all, If you haven't closed the commerce in Paxful you can create a dispute on the Paxful website.

If you after paid to the scammer you clicked the button of 'paid' on Paxful and you haven't closed the commerce, you can create a dispute and someone from Paxful Support can help you because the money is on hold in his account meanwhile you haven't closed the commerce.

In case that you closed the commerce in Paxful, you have a second option.
Contact Paypal Support as soon as possible and take some screenshots of your chat on Paxful where the scammers give you his Paypal account and when his manipulating you to close the case and send those screenshots to Paypal Support and tell them that he is a fraudulent user and let them know that you need help quickly due that scammer can withdrawal that money and they will help you to re-open the case and they'll put the money on hold in his Paypal account.

I hope these two options can help you, and ¡f you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.