How to stop someone using my credit card on their PayPal account

niknak12
New Community Member

Someone has my credit card set up on their PayPal account, and is using it to buy stuff. I tried to cancel the card and replace it with a new number but today another transaction went out with that new card. The bank can't do anything expect keep changing the card, does anyone have any advice on how to stop this card being used?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@niknak12 

It’s weird that it follows this particular card. You may have some kind of security leak. Sweep devices for viruses/keyloggers. May be even back up your files, wipe device and reset to factor settings. Change your PayPal password. Set up 2FA or some other current security authenticator. Get another card issued.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Ayesha

Hello @niknak12,

Welcome to PayPal Community Forum and thank you for posting here! Thanks for the details, @sharpiemarker.

I am sorry to know about the unauthorized charges on your card and I know this must be concerning. When a transaction shows on your bank or card statement but not in your PayPal account that is an indication that someone has obtained your financial information and used it without permission. Since you mentioned another charge on the new card, it is possible that this could be a recurring transaction on the previously closed credit card. Though you have got a new replacement card sometimes the card details will remain the same such as card number, name, etc, and automatic payment would continue. In this situation, please reach out to your financial institution and check for the unauthorized recurring charge, cancel/stop it, and report the charge on the new card again. Reporting the transaction and having them close the affected account is essential and the financial institution will investigate and is responsible for refunding the unauthorized payment.

I hope this information helps,
Ayesha

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.