Has anybody else had an unauthorised payment made to Brainety.com.?

Temp20231217R
New Community Member

I have been charged A$58.80 from an automatic payment I didn’t sign up for. It’s from a company called Brainety.com. It was for a subscription charged monthly. I opened a dispute with PayPal but they answered very quickly that this is not an unauthorised payment. I have cancelled the automatic payment and I have emailed the company Brainety.com asking for this money back but my email bounced back. What else can I do?

It is a SCAM which PayPal seems to endorse. Brainety.com is a sponsored advertiser of Facebook so beware. I have read reviews of other people who have had the same problem. All the reviews declare it is a scam.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20231217R 

A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product and forget to cancel. As a buyer you must agree to a billing agreement/subscription before a merchant can take a payment from your PayPal account.

If you don't notice during checkout OR don't cancel then it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting.

Check if you had a subscription set up and cancel it?
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
43 REPLIES 43
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20231217R 

A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product and forget to cancel. As a buyer you must agree to a billing agreement/subscription before a merchant can take a payment from your PayPal account.

If you don't notice during checkout OR don't cancel then it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting.

Check if you had a subscription set up and cancel it?
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

narcose29
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is that Brainety doesn't ask any acknowledgement before to use banking informations to create a recurrent payment !

It's a pure scamming method, but PayPal accept...

Login to Me Too

Frank-Bemelman
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, that sounds all good and well, but Brainety does it in a sneaky way. Probably printed that warning with white text on a white background. If one or two complained - you have a point. But in this case there are thousands around the globe that have been robbed. Paypal should act adequately here, refund all similar payments to all paypal customers and throw Brainety out. If they don't, they are just as criminal as Brainety itself. This company is a total scam.
Login to Me Too

TomLynn
Contributor
Contributor
Agreed. They only bit me for $38. A 'subscription ' that I never knowingly selected. I feel bad for some others, who had many times that amount stolen. So far, PayPal has been asleep at the switch.
Login to Me Too

LME1
Mine was $250+!!!!
Login to Me Too

kezra504
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't know I had a "trial" and didn't know I had a "subscription".  They are scammers.  Complaints all over the internet.

Login to Me Too

pclima69

Scammed anyway by Brainety

Login to Me Too

Evodriva
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, exactly the same thing has happened to me and there's a whole other thread on this with where it's happened to many others. It baffles me that PayPal won't accept this as a scam given the number of complaints and I also can prove that it was done unknowingly but can't have it investigated.

Login to Me Too

cuznau
New Community Member

Yes-I have had a lot of issues with these people. PayPal will not help,

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.