Canceled money request and money disappeared.

GameSeller
Contributor
Contributor

I was going to make a sale and we agreed upon price with Paypal protection (Goods/Service) counted in.
The buyer said that he could not find me, so I asked for his account and sent a request (I don't remember now (it was on the 12th of February) if I had the option to choose between Goods and Friends, but the price was with Goods/Service, but this may have been my first request.
He lives in Brazil and I am under the impression that there are no Friends/Family-countries in South Amerca (maybe unless using Request)?

I received a Paypal-e-mail today: "     has canceled a money request".
I check activities and there's only this canceled request, for this person... nothing else. It happened on the 12th of February, but I have searched his name without finding anything else.
It has only gone 18 days since 12th of February and I replied "Money received - thanks", but I do not see the money.
Has he found a clever way of tricking people: Making sellers "Request" money, that becomes Friends/Family (instead of the "forced" Goods/Service), and then he can cancel payments and get his money back?
He may get back to my newly sent message, and just a mistake... but if he is a fraud - I don't want to waste time, waiting for silence.
Anyone who can explain this situation for me?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GameSeller 

Why would you break paypal rules and want to use friends/family for a sale?

Secondly a money request or an invoice is a goods/services payment.

Thirdly why would you say money received if you have not got it in your paypal balance or have you?

If he cancelled the request then he won't have paid so you would not send the item surely?

Lastly are you sure you didn't get fake Paypal emails citing the buyer has paid when nothing is in your paypal account balance or activity?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GameSeller
Contributor
Contributor

1) "we agreed upon price with Paypal protection (Goods/Service) counted in." (A statement that there was no intention of Friends/Family.)
2) Thanks! I wanted a confirmation on that; I was under the impression that it was.
3) I am convinced that I got a message from Paypal about this buyer paid my request; hence I wrote to him that money was received - as a confirmation.
4) I could be mistaken with "request paid", but I wouldn't tell him that I received his money when I get the Paypal's "You have sent a request"-e-mail, 1 minute after the request. That would be very strange. (And I ordered and paid for freight, and shipped the item.)
5) I am not convinced that it was a proper Paypal-message. I was, but now I am not. I don't remember if I logged in and double checked it, but I want to believe that I not only got an e-mail but also a notification from the app.

Why would he cancel a request? It "dies" after 1 month of no activities, right?
I want to understand... learn... so if I have been tricked now, to avoid it in the future.
There's a cancelation (by him)... and that's the only thing connected to his "name"/handle.

Thanks for investing time to help me understand; it's appreciated.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GameSeller 

Buyers can cancel money requests or invoices most of the time.

No funds in your paypal balance and no activity of the transaction means you have not been paid.

Paypal payments are instant so even if pending or on hold they would show in your paypal account.

If you received an email stating they had paid but no funds in your balance then its probably a scam with a fake paypal email.

If you can give a gist of the email content I may be able to confirm that for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GameSeller
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

I don't know what a Gist is (fluent but not native, English speaker); I guess that it is a kind of screendump/copy-paste. I don't have the "your request has been paid"-email left (I have a hard time not emptying waste bin and junk, often). I notice now that I have an option to Cancel, in this "he has cancelled". Should I press that?
[Removed]
[Removed]
[Removed]
[Removed]
ZappIMG_20240303_150158267.jpg

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.