Am I being scammed by a customer trying to steal my money?

GabbyStC
Contributor
Contributor

A person messaged me after seeing an item on Facebook marketplace.  He wanted to pay via a PayPal business account and told me he had paid the amount owed for the item.  Then he proceeded to inform me he had received an email from PayPal claiming that before they could credit me the funds he paid for the item, he was to pay an extra amount much more than the cost of my item.  Then once the funds for the item have been credited to me, I was to refund him the extra money Paypal had asked for.   He sent me a screenshot of what looked like the activity page with transactions on it.  It did show the two transactions, the first being payment for the item & second one supposedly the funds he claims he was requested by Paypal to send.  

I am scared to pay the funds to my Paypal account and then to him in case he shoots through with my money having never paid for the item in the first place.  Therefore leaving me robbed.  Is this a scam?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GabbyStC 

Yes its a 100% scam and he is talking rubbish.

He won't pay anything but will send you fake paypal emails to say that he has.

Then the 'refund' will either be paid via friends/family so you can't get it back OR he will tell you to use another payment processor or vouchers etc and that is where the scam is. You pay the refund and get no money credited from him.

Run....

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GabbyStC 

Yes its a 100% scam and he is talking rubbish.

He won't pay anything but will send you fake paypal emails to say that he has.

Then the 'refund' will either be paid via friends/family so you can't get it back OR he will tell you to use another payment processor or vouchers etc and that is where the scam is. You pay the refund and get no money credited from him.

Run....

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GabbyStC
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou so much.  I am so glad I check this out on here first.  It did sound very strange.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.