Account Limitations: What You Need to Know

PayPal_Mark
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Keeping your business and customers safer

To ensure PayPal remains a safer place for enabling payments, we regularly review all accounts. Sometimes, limitations may be placed on your PayPal account, which could restrict you from completing certain actions: such as withdrawing, spending, or receiving money. Limitations are in place to help protect all our customers, and in some cases to meet our regulatory obligations. Protecting your account and money is important to us.

Account Limitations: What might cause it, and how to help avoid it?

If your PayPal account is limited, you may be unable to withdraw, send or receive money. There are a number of reasons why your account could be limited:

Suspicious & unusual activity

• We suspect someone could be using your account without your knowledge.
  • Your bank alerts us that someone has used your credit/debit card linked to your account without your permission.
  • There are unexpected changes to your selling activities such as a sudden increase in your typical sales volume.

In such cases, we do what it takes to protect you from potential fraud prompted by the unusual activity– through limiting your account, and investigating.

You can safeguard your personal information and help protect yourself against fraud through some simple measures.  For example, don’t enter your personal or financial details when describing items for sale or in response to emails, and log out of sites you’ve entered your personal information into.

Regulatory reasons or business is not compliant

Your account could be limited for regulatory reasons. For example, India PayPal sellers need to include additional information to be able to accept payments in their account. Also, reaching a certain transaction value in your account may trigger a limit, which can also be removed by providing information required to PayPal.

There are also restrictions on what a PayPal account can be used to accept (and make) payments for. For example, PayPal doesn't allow the sale of counterfeit goods or banned items. So, ensure that your business is compliant with PayPal’s Acceptable Use Policy .

Increased buyer issues

An increase of complaints, claims and chargebacks from buyers can lead to account limitations.

Following some simple guidelines can help you improve your performance and reduce the likelihood of limitations. Overall, communication is key. You should:

• Provide detailed product descriptions and photos.
  • Be upfront about policies such as shipping and returns.
  • Ship orders promptly and track shipments.
  • Respond quickly to any messages from buyers.
  • Work to amicably resolve any problems.
  • Ship to the address provided in the transaction details page.
  • Use quality shipping materials to prevent damage.

Removing limitations

If your PayPal account is limited, here’s what happens:

1. We’ll email you to let you know –  we’ll ask you to log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Centre for details on how to resolve the issue quickly, usually by providing information.
  2. Once you’ve submitted the information required, we’ll review and reply via email.
  3. We’ll remove the limitations once we have verified your account. At times, limitations can be removed by simply changing your security questions and password.

Here are the types of information and documents we may need from you:

- Supplier’s invoice with contact information

This helps us determine the inventory source and validate that you have the items that you’re selling in stock.

- Payment information

When an invoice is unavailable, we’ll review the following information about your payments:

• The item or service that was sold
  • The buyer’s name and shipping address
  • Proof of shipment to verify that an order was delivered

- Shipping or Tracking information

This helps us to verify that customer orders are being fulfilled.

- Proof of business
This provides evidence of a valid business registration and business ownership.

- Information for India sellers
This is to comply with our India regulatory obligations. Provide a valid PAN, a local bank account and the purpose code in your PayPal account task board.

- Proof of address such as bank statement or utility bill, Proof of identity such as passport or driver’s license
This helps us verify your identity when there is unusual account activity or to comply with regulations.

Once you’ve submitted your information, look out for any more emails from us as we may need additional details. We’ll do our best to confirm your information and remove the limitation within 2 business days, but sometimes it can take a little longer.

Quick Tip: If your PayPal account is limited, don’t open a new account. It could be traced back to the limited account.  It’s always best to resolve the limitation. We will guide you through it and restore full access to your PayPal account as quickly as possible.

Login to Me Too
1,052 REPLIES 1,052

DLT56
Contributor
Contributor
Try the Facebook page request to talk to a rep they will give you a robot at first just keep asking for help Until you get through worked for me Good luck
Login to Me Too

Topher08
Contributor
Contributor
Do another reviews to my paypal account. The last reviews was totally wrong. I'm not underage user and all documents I summited are true and correct? Where do you get your reviews?
Login to Me Too

Okrib
Contributor
Contributor

Right, hopefully someone can help.

We're an established business that processes around 100 orders through PayPal per day. We have had a total of 60 cases since October. Last year we processed about £2.25m through PayPal and this year it is on track to be £7.5m. Obviously, as the number of orders increases, so does the possibility of more cases.

PayPal put a limitation on our account about a week or so ago, wanting information about suppliers (that is subject to NDAs) and our accounts for 2020 (that do not have to be filed until 31st July 2021). We provided all the rest of the information and it's impossible to speak to anyone on the phone.

So we now have £300,000 sitting in our PayPal account that we cannot touch. We've dispatched the items to clients.

This is utterly absurd and it having a huge impact on our cash flow, and they just don't care. It's scandalous.

Login to Me Too

Hiuying
Contributor
Contributor

NEED HELP. I recently received sereval emails about requesting for additional information, caseno.:PP-009-836-271-391, however I cannot upload new proof of address due to your page already shows that was 'completed' but the emails said otherwise, my account access is still temporarily limited. @PayPal_Mark 

Login to Me Too

Yu_che
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing here. There's just no button to click to start the appeal.

Login to Me Too

Hiuying
Contributor
Contributor

I just sent an email to their customer support department, hope that they will reply me on this problem soon. Is your account still limited ? 

Login to Me Too

WhatOnEarth
Contributor
Contributor
PAYPAL IS A LAW UNTO ITSELF

After 9 years of membership, always made my payment, never exceeded credit limit, I get this. It effectively bans me not only from PayPal but from e-bay as they only allow the use of PayPal as the payment method. It also means I cannot pay anything without revealing my credit card numbers. I called them and said how have I violated the agreement, why was no warning sent and... someone in the Indian sub-continent said 'I know how you feel but I cannot do anything about it' including telling me my alleged 'transgression' This is like saying you cannot come into Costco any more.. or buy and sell anything anywhere. By the way our EULA is longer than the US Constitution and we will not / cannot tell you what 'you did wrong' This is ridiculous.

You can't use PayPal anymore
After a review of your account activity, we’ve determined that you’re in violation of PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy. As a result, your account has been permanently limited and you won’t be able to conduct any further business using PayPal. This is permitted under the PayPal User Agreement sections Restricted Activities and Actions We May Take. You must remove all references to PayPal from your website(s) and/or auction(s), including removing PayPal as a payment option, the PayPal logo, and the PayPal shopping cart.

Any bank or credit card information linked to your PayPal account cannot be removed nor can it be used to create a new account. You can still log in and see your account information but you can’t send or receive funds.If you have funds in a PayPal balance, we’ll hold it for up to 180 days. These funds may be used to satisfy any obligations you may have under the User Agreement and Acceptable Use Policy, including potential liabilities to third parties and to PayPal for each violation of the Acceptable Use Policy, including liquidated damages. After that period, we’ll email you with information on how to access any remaining funds.
If there are chargebacks that result in your account balance falling below zero, you will need to settle the amount owed to PayPal to avoid further action.
Customers who are permanently limited for violating the Acceptable Use Policy are not permitted to use PayPal services and are not permitted to open new or additional PayPal accounts
Login to Me Too

Yu_che
Contributor
Contributor
I feel your pain, bro. I’m in the very same situation.
Login to Me Too

WhatOnEarth
Contributor
Contributor

They will not say how I broke their rules, and I have used them the same way for 9 years. This is both arbitrary and capricious...

They seem to be a near-monopoly and rule unto themselves. I pay Linden (Second life) and Ancestry.Com and my Google Photo Account and that's it! Which of these breaks their rules? None of course. Now I cannot sell anything on e-bay as they only accept PayPal... 

Login to Me Too

buttaflybronx97
Contributor
Contributor

THEY DNT STAND BY THERE OWN RULES>>> NEED A LAWYER TO SUE...PAYPAL TOOKMY MONEY>>KEPT IT ON HOLD FOR NO REASON....AND STILL HAVENT RECIEVED A LETTER FROM THEM,ON WHY THEY PUT LIMATATIONS ON MY ACCOUNT FOR 180 Days. 180 Days Past and Called Several Times For Them To SAy,Im on hold to Back Office for Another180 days. WHYYYY I DID NOTHING..AND THEY TOOK MY CHECK THE SAME DAY THE CLOSED IT DOWN..NEED HELP DURING COVID>>AND I HAVE KIDS!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.