personal payments but paid with buyer protection

Pucci1
Contributor
Contributor

I've been scammed and wanted to report the transaction and escalate it to paypal. I paid with buyer protection enabled but when I report the transaction it it says that I cannot file a dispute as buyer protection does not cover personal payments. Why is this the case and how can I actually escalate this to paypa. I have solid proof that the seller is a scammer but I cannot discover a way to contact paypal and resolve this issue 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pucci1 

Because personal or friends and family payments are essentially “gift” payments and not covered by buyer protection. Have to be careful of how payment is sent for goods and services. Do not let a seller convince you to use friends and family.

Choose “Paying for an item or service” option next time if sending from your PayPal account to an email address, name, or phone number or ask seller for a PayPal invoice to categorize your payment as goods and services payment. 

To contact customer services:

1. https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us
  2. Click Disputes and account limitations.
  3. Click Disputes.
  4. Click Dispute a payment.
  5. Click Call Us after “This information might help” box.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.