my refund is showing as canceled - refund

ellsmath
Contributor
Contributor

A seller refunded money I paid for a course I decided not to take. The money was showing as Refund in PayPal but hadn't appeared as a credit on my credit card or in my PayPal balance yet. I know it takes awhile for the money to actually be refunded. The refund date was April 27. This morning, May 4th, my refund, on PayPal is showing as "canceled - refund" and the refund amount has a line through it - I don't understand! Did the seller cancel the refund? Did PayPal cancel it? I thought that once a refund was submitted it couldn't be canceled. Please help! What should I do now? Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ellsmath 

The seller issued a refund from their bank account. If bank account has no money and prevents PayPal from transferring the funds, the refund is marked canceled. I would suggest opening a dispute to get a refund if it allows, however PayPal doesn’t cover buyer’s remorse (ie. changed mind.)

If you paid by credit card, a chargeback through your card issuer is an option.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ellsmath 

The seller issued a refund from their bank account. If bank account has no money and prevents PayPal from transferring the funds, the refund is marked canceled. I would suggest opening a dispute to get a refund if it allows, however PayPal doesn’t cover buyer’s remorse (ie. changed mind.)

If you paid by credit card, a chargeback through your card issuer is an option.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

ellsmath
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! I believe you're saying there wasn't enough money in the seller's account for the refund. In other words, the seller didn't cancel the refund, right? I tried to enter a dispute with PayPal but they didn't allow it. I think you're saying I should dispute the charge with my credit card company. The seller did state in an email that she was refunding the charge... 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.