Stephanieyocono
New Community Member
Why did I receive a text with a 1 time security code
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @Stephanieyocono,

Welcome to the community!

I do understand your concern with this. If you received a text with a secuirty code from PayPal, it could mean there was a possible login attempt to your PayPal account. 

Don't worry, if you did not give this code to anyone they would not have gained access. To re-secure your account, I would suggest you change your PayPal password and secuirty questions. 

To change your password, simply follow the steps here. When changing your password, please make sure it is unique to PayPal. For example, do not share the same passwords with multiple online accounts. 

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

RiverDizzy
New Community Member
How come you only talk about it from one point of view or the perspective of “nothings wrong”? Yes we can change our password but just bc you don’t give the code to someone doesn’t mean they didn’t get it. Can you elaborate on this topic and also speak from the place where if a PayPal user receives the one time security code and then another person gains access to this code (wether the PayPal user gave them the code or not is irrelevant), bc there’s many ways to gain access to the code. • Is there a way we can view WHO has requested the code? • is there a way we can see all devices or people logged into our PayPal? • is there a way to remove such devices? • is there a way to also view the person who is trying to login our account but see what they did online? This has happened to me many times and I do not give out the code to anyone but they are in my account and money comes out and all sorts of stuff. • is there a way PayPal is connected to google? Bc I always receive a PayPal security code like 5 seconds after I receive a google security code. Is there a connection here?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @RiverDizzy

Welcome to the PayPal Community! 

I'm sorry to hear that someone has been trying to access your account recently, and I understand you have questions about what can be done. I'll happily answer as many of those questions as possible. There isn't a way to view who has requested the code and what they've viewed on the account or other places. However, there is a way to see and remove any devices and browsers that have accessed your account. For a Personal PayPal account, you'll want to go to your Settings by selecting the cog, then click Security, and finally, Manage Your Logins. I also recommend reviewing Auto Login, which is PayPal One Touch. For a Business account, you'll first select your name at the top of the page, then Profile Settings. After that, click on Edit next to Stay logged in for faster purchases.

If you have set up an automatic payment, subscription, or billing agreement with Google, that will connect the two accounts. This means that if someone accesses your Google account, they could make purchases through Google using PayPal as a payment method but never actually log into PayPal. You can review and cancel any of these links through our website. However, if you're getting the codes simultaneously, they might just be trying to access both. If you haven't already, I do recommend setting up 2-Step Verification to add an extra layer of security to your PayPal account. You can learn more about it on our Help Center here: How do I turn on or off 2-step verification for PayPal account login?

If you notice any unauthorized transactions or account changes, please do not hesitate to file a dispute by following the instructions in our Help Center. I hope I can also ease your mind by letting you know that any of your sensitive information, such as banking information, is completely hidden from anyone who may access the account. This is to protect it from ever being compromised. Since you have been receiving a lot of attempts lately, I recommend changing your email on your PayPal account to see if that will solve it. Sometimes once a fraudster obtains an email, they try it on a multitude of websites to see if they can get in. 

I apologize that I wasn't able to provide more details for all of your questions; I hope this information helps. Please have a wonderful rest of your weekend. 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.