Scammed using fake tracking number by the seller.

Hetyboi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Paypal community,

I would like to bring attention to my situation. First of all I feel humiliated, getting scammed so easily by an old textbook scam. I recently bought a MacBook Pro online through Paypal, I asked paypal to check the invoice seller sent me and they said it was okay to go ahead with the transaction as I was protected. After I paid $2000 to the seller, I was provided with a USPS tracking number, few days later it said the package was delivered but I never received the package. I contacted the local post office, they said it was delivered to Walgreens nearby with same zipcode. Basically what seller is trying to do here is exploit paypal and its users providing that false tracking number and showing that it was “delivered”. 

I have an ongoing dispute and claim going on about this paypal, I have provided all the evidence paypal will need to look at the facts of this situation. I got a detailed USPS tracking report showing the exact delivery address and how it is different from mine. I also got USPS  package weight info which was only 1lbs while we know MacBook Pro weighs more. I also have screenshots of conversations with the seller proving that its a scam and a fraud. 

I hope Payal looks at all these facts and help me get a refund. I also want to warn other to be careful. I have read many discussions where Paypal sides with the seller because the tracking says delivered (even though it’s not delivered to the buyer), hence I provided all the factual evidence to strengthen my case. 

I still have hope in Paypal @PayPal_DerrickD  @PayPal_Roy 

Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

Tharless
New Community Member
This is slso hsppening to me right now, mine was a Yeti website or so it said grrrr Closed my case also said it was delivered Makes me furious
Login to Me Too

tonybythesea
Contributor
Contributor

I am victim to a similar fraud, with payment via Paypal.  I only paid  $110 US , for a purchase,  but the item that was sent was apparently delivered via Royal Mail in the UK, with a tracking number to prove delivery.   Apparently it was small enough to pass through my letter box, and I am still not aware what the item I supposedly received actually was.  After querying non delivery via Paypal, the fraudulent seller provided a delivery reference which shows it arrived safely, and Paypal immediately lost interest.  I then disputed the transaction as fraudulent, and within less than 3 hours Paypal declined my claim again , using the same fraudulent transaction tracking information.  I have reported this crime to Action Fraud in the UK, who work with Police, and suggested Paypal are implemented in the scam.   I doubt I shall get any funds returned, but I have lost confidence in Paypal's assertion they are a safe means of payment. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tonybythesea 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Rebekah_K
Contributor
Contributor
No offense. Your advice is good but it doesn’t appear you read any of the details of all the different people that were scammed. If you did, you would not have posted. The UCC code protects the BUYER n that the package must be proven to have been delivered to the buyer’s address. Not down the street n the same zip code. If you read the issues here, you will see that the shipper delivers to the buyer ZIP CODE which is all USPS reports in the proof of delivery. And PayPal accepts that as proof. Back to the UCC code which protects e-commerce purchases, SELLERS have the burden of proof to deliver to BUYER’S ADDRESS. When you call USPS, they can tell you that you didn’t receive it. They can tell you it was another address but they cannot tell you what address (privacy reasons) and they do not put it in writing. Why? Because you have no contract with them. When a seller uses USPS to ship items, a contract is formed between the seller and USPS, not the buyer. So the buyer is not privy to any of the details from USPS. The scamming sellers are aware of this entire loophole. PayPal knows it’s a weak spot. They could discourage this by holding shippers accountable but they don’t. And yes, NOW PayPal has “some protection” as you say since they recently revised their protection policy likely to wash their hands of the liability. Thanks for trying. Spend some time reading the many facts of details of all the people who posted here and went through the trouble of reporting fraud to outside authorities and spread awareness.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rebekah_K 

Think you are the one that did not read the details of a post not me and I was trying to help @tonybythesea  not you.

Lets re-cap......

1.  Firstly I advised to ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake OR that the item was shown as shipped before being purchased. With that information Paypal may well just issue a refund.

THAT HAS WORKED FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE.

2. USPS DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

I have had loads of posters that have won refunds with that information so guess they did read and do as advised.

What did or did not work for you does not detract from the fact that my advice has worked so I will continue to post it as that is what a community forum is for.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Rebekah_K
Contributor
Contributor
You didn’t read MY post. I won my appeals with PayPal. You would have known that if you read it. Maybe you read someone else’s post? Definitely not mine.
Login to Me Too

Rebekah_K
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for posting! More importantly, thank you for following through and reporting the scam and PayPal’s negligence. They claim to us that they provide some protection service but it appears to only be in regards to protecting their fees and the seller’s. Glad you did the extra work and reported the fraud.
Login to Me Too

Lizzyandkids
Contributor
Contributor
He just tried the same with me. I reported him on Facebook and WhatsApp. Thanks for helping me with this Information.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.