Money sent to wrong account by mistake

lukef2001
Contributor
Contributor
I accidentally sent funds to an account that has the same name as me. My intention was to fund my account however it has been sent to another person with my exact name. It was a genuine mistake. I have disputed it several times and trying to escalate with PayPal. How can I get my money back?
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lukef2001 

How did you send the funds ie which option did you select?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lukef2001
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your reply I chose goods and services. Upon taking the advice from PayPal over the phone I disputed the transaction. It was denied even after providing countless evidence of how unique a mistake this is. How is it possible that they have denied it? I am appealing at the moment and even have evidence of communication with the other person with my name. I cannot be sure to trust he will return the funds if I stop the dispute. It is for £3500 which is an amount I desperately can’t afford to lose.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lukef2001 

ok, if you have spoken to paypal customer services and they advised you to appeal then I guess you don't want our advice, only I was going to ask you which dispute you opened, never mind.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lukef2001
Contributor
Contributor

I would really appreciate any advice you might be able to provide as it was me that demanded the appeal. Is there any hope for PayPal to return this transaction ? I tried to find my account, I entered my name (Luke [removed]) in and clicked on my name that came up. Only after the funds were sent could I see it was a different Luke [removed]as the email was different. The paypal customer services people seem to be reading from a script and not understanding how the situation. Now the other Luke is not responding to my messages. Thank you again for your time.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lukef2001 

Which dispute did you open? Did you escalate to a claim?

How did you pay ie friends/family OR goods/services?

How did you 'fund' the paypal payment ie bank account / card or balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lukef2001
Contributor
Contributor

I called them as soon as the mistake was made. I explained my situation which they "understood"

They themselves marked the dispute as "I did not receive anything. I want a refund." (as there was no option to mark it as an error). 

The claim was denied "because this transaction is ineligible for PayPal's Buyer Protection."

I have now filed an appeal.

I paid as "goods/services"

I funded the payment via Mastercard debit card.

Thank you once again for your time and expertise. 

Luke

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.