Can we not stop a fraudulent seller?

shasha8
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a supposedly very good felt mens hat from Nanchang Tongtuo and was sent a piece of junk that was also smashed since it was sent in a bag.  

I had used my credit card, thus I thought I needed to file a dispute with my credit card company.  Tongtuo lied saying that the goods were as described and received in good condition even after I had sent pictures of what looks like a smashed child's toy cowboy hat made out of plastic and cheap material.  Since I never was sent a receipt nor invoice from Tongtuo, my dispute was denied.  Paypal now will do nothing because I had previously filed a dispute with my credit card.  It is VERY frustrating sending a large amount of money to someone who purposely sends junk and is "protected" by PayPal.   

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@shasha8 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads so buyer beware.

Paypal would not be able to check every individual seller / merchant / company in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.

So they give some buyer and some seller protection. However that protection can never be a 100% coverall so you need to read it so you can risk assess your transactions.

If you read the small section on buyer protection before you start using paypal or before you go down any dispute route they state that you have the right to go directly via your card issuer to file a claim but if you do so and lose you can't come back and file a paypal dispute.

Not sure why you didn't use paypal buyer protection first to be honest as if that didn't work out you can use the fall back of a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.