Advice about selling a car, recieving payment via paypal.

hasey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car (not on ebay) and have had someone offering to buy via paypal and send someone for collection. I know all about these scams where buyers say I'll pay with a bankers draft and add shipping fees and the seller has to sort it out with the shippers. I've always disregarded these and said cash on collection only but this one says he'll pay in full via paypal and arrange for someone to collect. I just want to know where I stand on the security of the payment. Do I have to wait any particular time for it to clear? Can he cancel payment once cleared or request a refund?

You hear so many scams going on I just want to be sure, I'm already dubious due to the fact he's saying he'll send someone else to collect. Or am I just best sticking to my guns and demanding cash on collection? Please help.

Login to Me Too
407 REPLIES 407

jliu218

SELLERS BEWARE!!!

I recently posted a Harley motorcycle on a few different sites and received emails from multiple people wanting to pay via PayPal.

This one was sent to me by 3 different email addresses, but the email is IDENTICAL to the others, except for the changing of names:

"Hi, I am Rose Williams. I'm satisfied with the price of this particular item and i'm really interested in buying it. I would have love to come for the viewing by the weekend but My place is way too far from there in which i am located in Yukon white horse 194 Alsek Road,YT Y1A 4R3 and i'm pregnant presently so travelling all that way is a big problem... So i thought of how to make this transaction work between us, which i came to conclusion with my husband to use a courier company to pick up the item from your place but we will send the money to your account first and after you get the money in your account, the pick up company will come to help us carry it. Since i'd not be seeing the item before i purchase it, i would like you to send some recent pictures of its present state to be sure you still have it and its in good condition. If the pictures pleases me, then we can go ahead with the transaction and will send the money to you without delay.... Lest i forget, i would be transferring the funds to you through PayPal. Please reply with your opinion ASAP Thanks. If you are satisfied with this, please get back to me with the following info, so that i can proceed with the payment at once.

Your Full name

Your Phone number,

New pictures (If the ones on the ad are not new)

Your Paypal email.

How low you could go for the price.

Rose."

I am so glad I found this thread first!!

I declined her offer, which led to multiple emails encouraging me trying to assure me why I should change my mind. NO THANK YOU!

Login to Me Too

jusjen
Contributor
Contributor

My son has just received the following message from an interested buyer of his car on Gumtree - is it legit?  I am wary of someone paying via paypal having not seen the car for such a large amount of money after reading these other stories 

Buyer wrote:

Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my son and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location.

Regarding the payment i can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

Awaiting your reply soon...

My son replied

Hi

How are we going to complete the V5 document? Also I am willing to accept your offer but I'd prefer you (or someone close to you) to have a look at it before you buy. Just so you are happy before any money is transferred over.

Thanks

buyer wrote

With the issue of details,transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the courier services company agent so you don't have to worry about that.

son replied

That's fine when would you like to arrange a collection?

Buyer wrote

Would today evening be fine for collection?? If not please let me know a suitable day and time.

Son replied

What we going to do about payment?

Buyer wrote

OK,Kindly get back to me with your location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now.

Also,you can send me your PayPal email and registered name so that i can send the money right away and choose a good time for the pick up after payment has been received.

In order to avoid mistakes could you confirm the exact amount that i need to send into your PayPal account?

Son replied

I cannot accept PayPal unfortunately

No further correspondence...seems like a possible scam

Login to Me Too

Eli27
Contributor
Contributor

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM.....Stop communicating with the crook, because the more you do, the more info they get about you ie: phone numbers, addresses, etc. Delete their communications and don't answer them!

Login to Me Too

RandyDe
Contributor
Contributor
LOL... Same scammer on my motorcycle... Rose Williams (same address). Thank you for getting back to me, i'm Rose Williams by name. Can you assure me that i will not be disappointed with it. I would have love to come for the viewing by the weekend, but My place is way too far from there in which i am located in Yukon white horse 194 Alsek Road, YT Y1A 4R3 So i thought of how to make this transaction work between us, which i came to conclusion with my husband to use a courier company to pick up the item from your place but we will send the money to your account first and after you get the money in your account, the pick up company will come to help us carry it As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal)..You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply. If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy. get back to me with all this request information.. 1.your full asking price. 2.Your PayPal Full Name 3.Your Paypal E-mail address. 4. Your phone number. 5.remove the item on kijiji. Best Regards,
Login to Me Too

CKD
Contributor
Contributor

I just posted my car on Autotrader.com yesterday. Today someone sent me two text messages which looks strange:

1st message: efore i proceed. Thank u

2nd message: Hi I'm interested in your vehicle on AUTOTRADER, please reply to my email <removed> with the close up image of the engine b

Withinout further thinking I emailed him pictures of my car once I get back home. This person immediately replied with the following email content:

Thank you for getting back to me,can you assure me that i will not be disappointed if i buy this vehicle as a Birthday gift for my Dad? as I’m ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I’m software engineer in Hewlett Packard,(HP) and a contract staff so i cant handle this in person.My only means of payment is PayPal,its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the paypal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount.If you don’t have a paypal account,its pretty easy to open one,Just log on to their web and sign up.I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? as the day is fast approaching. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me.I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Your last asking price:
Your Zip code for pickup:
Your Cell phone

Does this look like a scam? Also, with the above information, what can this person do? 

Login to Me Too

iBADTOY
Contributor
Contributor

Yes this is a scam.

Do not respond - anyone wanting to pay and not see....

your car will be gone with no money in your account. 

Login to Me Too

CKD
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your advice.

The second day in the morning, I received his email and two Paypal emails:

- 1st Paypal email is 'You have received an instant Payment (0001) From Saint Ken'

- 2nd Paypal email is 'Instructions On How To Complete Your Pending Transation With Saint Ken'

His email:

I am glad to inform you that I have made the payment to your PayPal account and you ought to have received the payment confirmation from PayPal by now. Kindly remove the ads and check your PayPal email address for the payment receipt. I had a little problem with the mover they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their money for the pick up fee via Money gram Money transfer or Money Gram in there head office in  Grandview,TX So l included $1000.00 USD that they charge for the pick up and $100 for the Money Gram charges. Making total payment of $36,921.00 USD PayPal will instruct you on how to get the money sent to my mover. The Money gram agent might ask you purpose of sending money at Money Gram office, tell him or her you are sending it to a well known friend or family, because Money Gram charges for friends and family is lower than the one for business or services. I hope you understand that, to avoid additional  Money gram charges.The payment has been made and the money has been deducted from my account. Kindly get the shipping fee sent to the name and address below and send the details to PayPal email customer care for your total funds to be credited. I believe that since payment has been made, the advert should be taken off the site and please do let me know your free date and time so that I can give it to my mover for them to schedule the date and time they will be coming for the pick up in your location.

Pickup Agent details:

Name: Veronica <removed>
Address: <removed>
City: Grandview 
State: Texas
Zip Code: 76050

After I received the Paypal emals, I called Paypal Customer Service to check the my account status. The customer service representative told me that my account does not have any pending transaction. Also, the customer service representative the Paypal emails I received are fake. 

I know that people say do not reply these scam emails or ignore them. But I think that is why those scammers keep on sending out scam emails utill they trap someone in. 

Login to Me Too

entreaur
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same message you originally got but through a text message from <removed>.  Did it turn out to be a scam? Thanks

Login to Me Too

Eli27
Contributor
Contributor

It's a scam, ignore and delete their messages.

Login to Me Too

entreaur
Contributor
Contributor

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.