Paypal spent my steam refund?

Wesley17
Contributor
Contributor

I had refunded a game on steam and the process completed as normal. However, just 3 days later, I recieve an email saying paypal has paid off my steam game using the refund I had recieved, despite me not owning it anymore. Naturally I'm wondering where this money went and if there's any way to recieve  it. I have the transaction codes and whatnot if needed.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi @Wesley17,

Welcome to the community.  It sounds like your original payment to Steam did not complete, did you receive any emails stating there was a failed payment? You can check this by clicking on 'details' next to the original payment. If your funding source failed initially this is the reason you are not seeing the refund.

Hope this helps,

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Wesley17
Contributor
Contributor

I had recieved the refund as stated inside my account information. I had paid the amount, and recieved the same day i requested a refund, it had given me back my money in a positive balance and an email notification. However, a few days later, another email was recieved saying I had not paid, and it was taken out of my paypal account, the very same refunded balance. So now I'm left no balance and a charge on my bank account for failing to pay the game off when I refunded it? 
Also I have emails stating I have indeed paid, and refunded the game confirmations.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Wesley17,

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!

It sounds like the original bank funded payment failed, if this happens and you have been issued a refund we will remove the refund from your account balance. Please check with your bank to find out the reason why the PayPal payment for this transaction was not completed.

- Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Wesley17
Contributor
Contributor

With all due respect, Siobhan, my bank payment had went through to steam and whatnot. I was able to play the game for a short time before refunding, which would be impossible without purchasing it properly. In the attached files below it will show my balance, proof of payment, and refund time/amount. Along with the emails I had recieved over the matter.

The problem here is that paypal has decided upon itself to pay off a refunded game, and spent my refunded money on the exact same game. However, as I had refunded it, I do not have access to the game. As of now, I'm 37 dollars in the hole with no product I purchased.

https://imgur.com/a/YDuVf

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Dian

Hi Wesley17,

Thanks for your response.

When you send a payment PayPal will pay the seller direct and after that we will deduct the money from your bank. The direct debit process can take a few days to complete. I understand that you received the refund on the balance and that we took that away when we received a notification from the bank that the direct debit failed. From the screenshot you send on it shows as well that the bank did not allow us to deduct the money. As we have not received the money from you this would mean that we would remove the balance from your account. This will put everything back at 0 again. From all the information it seems that this is correct.

If you think that this is not correct, I would advise you to contact us so that we can explain this further.

You can use the 'Help & contact' link at the bottom of each page or you can contact us on Twitter @AskPayPal or on Facebook.

Dian

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.