How long will my refund take to clear?

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

Here’s how to view the status of your refund:

1. Go to www.paypal.com/uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click Activity and locate the refund.
  3. Select the refund to open the 'Transactions Details' page.
  • If you paid with a card, your payment will be refunded to your card. (It may take up to 30 days depending on your bank)
  • If you paid with your bank account or PayPal balance, your payment will be refunded to your PayPal balance

Here are definitions for your refund’s status:

• ‘Completed’: Your refund has been credited to your account
  • ‘Pending’: Your seller has initiated the refund but the money has not yet cleared. The refund will appear as ‘completed’ as soon as the money posts to your account. This process can take up to 7 working days to complete
  • ‘Canceled’: The refund could not be completed. Contact the seller for more information
  • 'Placed' and 'Removed': These statuses refer to the temporary hold on a payment rather than the payment itself. A hold is placed on a payment (eg when a refund is pending) and is later removed when the payment either completes or is cancelled. When checking the status of your refund you should refer to the original payment, not the hold

The original payment’s status will show whether the payment has been refunded:

• ‘Refunded’: The entire original payment was credited to your account
  • ‘Partially Refunded’: Part of the original payment was credited to your account

Thanks,

Lucy

Login to Me Too
75 REPLIES 75

Kebuh
New Community Member
If I knew I shouldn't have used eBay or PayPal at all because of bad service in receiving refund than payment
Login to Me Too

yellowmonster
Contributor
Contributor
I used a credit card. How many more days can it take? I really need the money to pay for something.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

7-30 days for a credit card dependent on your card company.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Laiha
New Community Member

This is TOTAL BULLLLLLLLxxxxxxxxx, as the user be4 asked, why xxxxxx when you have to pay for something money goes right away and when you xxxxxx want your money back it could take up to 30 DAYS????

Post edited to comply with forum guidelines

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Nope you don't pay straight away and i can only give you the FACTS...I don't make their policies.

When you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal credit the seller for you then start the process of uploading your funds to paypal from your funding source.

When they refund however they do not refund in advance.

Refunds to c.c.'s can take up to 30 days although in my experience its nearer a week but i have to state what paypal say.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor
Everytime I make a purchase through PayPal it automatically comes out
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@1216

?????

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi Laiha, 

As you will see I have edited your post to comply with our forum guidelines. 

When a refund is processed through PayPal the timeframes we provide are timeframes given to us by the processing bank. These timeframes are not set by PayPal. 

If your bank processes refunds within 3 days then you would have your refund within 3 days. If your bank processes refunds in 30 days then you will receive your refund in 30 days. You should really check with your bank for their timeframes and then you will know how long you will need to wait for your refund. 

Thanks for posting 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

joannadetiddles
Contributor
Contributor

sorry, but that's just rubbish and my bank have confirmed this. if my debit card was credited, it would show in my bank account immediately.

Login to Me Too

LCorder
Contributor
Contributor

This is a complete lie.    I have a transaction that was refunded also.   This is what is shows 

Total amount:   -$159.81 USD Fee amount:   $0.00 USD Net amount:   -$159.81 USD

Date:   Jul 18, 2013 Time:   17:21:49 PDT Status:   Completed

Subject: 

You have sent $159.81 USD to Credit Card with PayPal

Funding Type:   Credit Card Transfer to:   Discover Credit Card XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-3985

It shows completed but still has not hit my Discover card.    When I paid on Jul 2,  at 19:21 PDT   It was on my card on Jul 3 and showed up as a pending transaction almost right away.    

If I went to the store here in town and returned an item It would show up as a pending transaction right away.    So there really is no excuse except Paypal is collecting interest on the money that it is holding.   

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.