How long will my refund take to clear?

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

Here’s how to view the status of your refund:

1. Go to www.paypal.com/uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click Activity and locate the refund.
  3. Select the refund to open the 'Transactions Details' page.
  • If you paid with a card, your payment will be refunded to your card. (It may take up to 30 days depending on your bank)
  • If you paid with your bank account or PayPal balance, your payment will be refunded to your PayPal balance

Here are definitions for your refund’s status:

• ‘Completed’: Your refund has been credited to your account
  • ‘Pending’: Your seller has initiated the refund but the money has not yet cleared. The refund will appear as ‘completed’ as soon as the money posts to your account. This process can take up to 7 working days to complete
  • ‘Canceled’: The refund could not be completed. Contact the seller for more information
  • 'Placed' and 'Removed': These statuses refer to the temporary hold on a payment rather than the payment itself. A hold is placed on a payment (eg when a refund is pending) and is later removed when the payment either completes or is cancelled. When checking the status of your refund you should refer to the original payment, not the hold

The original payment’s status will show whether the payment has been refunded:

• ‘Refunded’: The entire original payment was credited to your account
  • ‘Partially Refunded’: Part of the original payment was credited to your account

Thanks,

Lucy

Login to Me Too
75 REPLIES 75

PPhater
Contributor
Contributor
Paypus have nothing to say as they know what they are doing is illegal. You can't hold people's money Best way is to boycott paypus
Login to Me Too

OllieArmageddon
Contributor
Contributor
Please read for clarification on how card payments work. When you buy something for £30 using PayPal you agree to pay £30 to PayPal. PayPal checks with your bank and asks them if you have £30 available, if the bank says yes, it gets put to one side and PayPal will collect in a few days as group collections cost them much less, in the mean time PayPal pay for your item with their own money. Your bank balance will show as £30 down because the bank is holding it for PayPal. 3 days later it's collected and shows in your account as 'PayPal £30'. Refund time. You ask for £30 back, PayPal will have to check with the seller and if all is okay a refund is processed. 3 days later it's taken from the seller and PayPal contact your bank. Your bank says it will collect in 3/7/28 days depending on bank. Once the bank collect it then it will show in your account. At no point is PayPal holding anyone's refund. Just waiting for banks both ends. They will not pay for your refund while waiting to collect from the seller as consumer and business accounts are different. If your refund is taking ages, pick a better bank.
Login to Me Too

LegalRegal
Contributor
Contributor

When I buy something using PayPal, my bank shows the transaction INSTANTLY, every time, no discussion needed. There is ZERO delay from when I hit the Payment Button to when my Bank sees the :"hit".

Stop lying.

US Banks do NOT hold RETURNED funds for any company (even on accounts within that bank!) drawing funds - stop lying Once they show up as a return, they SHOW UP AS RETURNED NOW.  The delay is what goes OUT, always, and in this case  from PAYPAL's BANK.

When (if ever) a credit is issued TO a bank, that credit is INSTANT, BANKS DO NOT and CAN NOT (by UIS Federal Banking Law) "Wait" to collect.  That simply DOES NOT EVER HAPPEN.  Stop lying.

PayPal needs to pick a better bank. And stop lying.

This "process" you laid out is stated NOWHERE in ANY online or print documents made available via PAyPal. N o w h e r e .

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Why are you talking about US banks on a UK forum ????

No one is lying.

Paypal use electronic transfer and not wire transfer........cheaper for them.

So they pay the seller in advance for you and then paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer with the timings as per below.

If a seller refunds quickly then they don't refund in advance you have to take the wait for the funds to clear through to paypal and then they are credited to you.

In the link.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8537474_difference-wire-t​ransfer-electronic-transfer.html

Electronic Transfer.   which paypal uses.

Because processing electronic fund transfers involves a third party in the automated clearing house -- which processes the transactions overnight -- the time it takes to complete this type of transfer is generally between one and four business days.

Wire Transfer.

Since one bank completes a wire transfer by dealing with another bank directly, wire transfers occur faster than electronic fund transfers. Often, banks complete wire transfers in real time, making funds available to a receiver within minutes or hours of a person beginning the transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ratsandor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

14 days ago my money(1054$) was returned but it is not showing in my bank account?

What can I do now? Can yuo tell me? please,please

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Sophie

Hi ratsandor,

Thanks for posting on the Community Forum about this.

Depending on your bank, a refund can take up to 5-7 working days to complete. You may also want to check if the money was refunded to your PayPal balance, which would happen if your bank was used for the original transaction. You can see what original funding source was used by reviewing the transaction on your account activity.

If you don't see the money refunded after 30 days, I would recommend contacting Customer Support directly so we can begin a trace on the transaction for you.

Hope this helps!

Sophie

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.