How long will my refund take to clear?

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

Here’s how to view the status of your refund:

1. Go to www.paypal.com/uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click Activity and locate the refund.
  3. Select the refund to open the 'Transactions Details' page.
  • If you paid with a card, your payment will be refunded to your card. (It may take up to 30 days depending on your bank)
  • If you paid with your bank account or PayPal balance, your payment will be refunded to your PayPal balance

Here are definitions for your refund’s status:

• ‘Completed’: Your refund has been credited to your account
  • ‘Pending’: Your seller has initiated the refund but the money has not yet cleared. The refund will appear as ‘completed’ as soon as the money posts to your account. This process can take up to 7 working days to complete
  • ‘Canceled’: The refund could not be completed. Contact the seller for more information
  • 'Placed' and 'Removed': These statuses refer to the temporary hold on a payment rather than the payment itself. A hold is placed on a payment (eg when a refund is pending) and is later removed when the payment either completes or is cancelled. When checking the status of your refund you should refer to the original payment, not the hold

The original payment’s status will show whether the payment has been refunded:

• ‘Refunded’: The entire original payment was credited to your account
  • ‘Partially Refunded’: Part of the original payment was credited to your account

Thanks,

Lucy

Login to Me Too
75 REPLIES 75

MikeMMM
New Community Member

Hi,

This is mine. I am still waiting on my money back, just to be sure....... will i eventually get it, or do i have to jump through some hoops first?

Details -$56.74 AUD    Related Transactions  Date  Type  Status  Details  Amount  3 Jul 2013 Charge from Credit Card CompletedYour transfer from your credit card to your PayPal account is complete.

Your transfer from your credit card to your PayPal account is complete.
Details $56.74 AUD   15 Jul 2013 Refund  Completed  ... $56.74 AUD   15 Jul 2013 Credit to Credit Card  Completed Details -$56.74 AUD 

Login to Me Too

QwilteeBing
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal cannot gain interest on any money 'held in limbo' etc, as this is against EU law. PayPal is a money processor, not a bank, it's not possible for them to accrue interest on money that is 'held'. They make their money by charging fees for a) processing funds, b) charging cross-border fees, c) charging currency conversion fees, c) charging fees for sending and receiving money, and d) through products and services it provides to customers.

There is no ulterior motive to PayPal telling you it takes up to 30 days, that is how long the bank dictate it CAN take up to.

Login to Me Too

mulewa
New Community Member
I paid up for an item but was given a refund by the seller how does it take since l even called paypal and they told me precisely 3 days to see effect payments help mi out plz.....
Login to Me Too

LegalRegal
Contributor
Contributor

Almost entirely false information presented.

When I use my CC at Walmart, then need to return something that day of or 5 (random number of days, you pick, wont matter) days later, it is processed, by WALMART's BANK - NOT MINE - within in MINUTES.

PAYPAL's Bank is the one delaying services here, my Bank doesnt see a return, then IT ISNT THERE FOR MY BANK TO DO ANYTHING WITH, there is NOTHING for my Bank to delay.

Login to Me Too

clareb
New Community Member

Hi, recieved email from paypal earlier to say the refund from last week had cleared and that it should show in paypal balance or wallet but its neither in there or my bank account??

Login to Me Too

Zyphr
Contributor
Contributor

I got a refund of about $700 USD last week, so I opted to buy a similar item that the seller who refunded me. I did that but guess what? Couldn't complete the payment, I went to my bank and they said there is not trace of the "refund." So after hearing that paypal can take about 30 DAYS to get the money in my account, I think we're giving these guys free loans as someone said. It's not ethically right for paypal to do this to it's customers. I hope someone takes them to court if this is the case. Now I am stuck as I cannot pay for the item I bought. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Login to Me Too

Lammas44
New Community Member

I have the same problem

Login to Me Too

mac99_au
New Community Member

Same problem here, 2 months now since so called "Completed" refund. I closed my debit card before the refund took place and even after informing PayPal not to use my closed debit card. My bank CBA keeps telling me that closed acounts do not have money refunded in to. I think it just bounces back to the PayPal's "rip you OFF" hidden account... PayPal run a trace on the transaction but all they really did was provide me with nothing and told me to go away and talk to my bank. Sick of me being the ball in this tennis match between PayPal and my bank !!!!!!!!!!!!! No money in the bank and no money in my Paypal account.....

Login to Me Too

iIzzy
Contributor
Contributor

Another person, same problem. Who do I contact to get help? This place aint gonna help at all.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Why is refund not in my paypal balance?

If you funded the original paypal payment with a card then once marked as completed it automatically goes back there but takes up to a week to process back to a bank account and a bit longer if it was a c.c.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.