How long will my refund take to clear?

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

Here’s how to view the status of your refund:

1. Go to www.paypal.com/uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click Activity and locate the refund.
  3. Select the refund to open the 'Transactions Details' page.
  • If you paid with a card, your payment will be refunded to your card. (It may take up to 30 days depending on your bank)
  • If you paid with your bank account or PayPal balance, your payment will be refunded to your PayPal balance

Here are definitions for your refund’s status:

• ‘Completed’: Your refund has been credited to your account
  • ‘Pending’: Your seller has initiated the refund but the money has not yet cleared. The refund will appear as ‘completed’ as soon as the money posts to your account. This process can take up to 7 working days to complete
  • ‘Canceled’: The refund could not be completed. Contact the seller for more information
  • 'Placed' and 'Removed': These statuses refer to the temporary hold on a payment rather than the payment itself. A hold is placed on a payment (eg when a refund is pending) and is later removed when the payment either completes or is cancelled. When checking the status of your refund you should refer to the original payment, not the hold

The original payment’s status will show whether the payment has been refunded:

• ‘Refunded’: The entire original payment was credited to your account
  • ‘Partially Refunded’: Part of the original payment was credited to your account

Thanks,

Lucy

Login to Me Too
75 REPLIES 75

kotatheninja

please just stop with the " Depending on your bank a week to 30 days to process" **bleep**. TD canada trust tells me that if i got a refund, it would be BAM instant. so at least stop lying saying it's the banks fault, and just admit that paypal has a flaw that needs fixing

Login to Me Too

ch1983
New Community Member
Paypal shows my refund complete but it's not on my PayPal balance? Please help this is my second refund now that says complete and yet no funds put back in balance
Login to Me Too

Toghrul
Contributor
Contributor

i need help, firsty i bouhjt coat which costs $35, but i paid directly to adress without paypal, now, paypal said we refunded your money, to which mail will send?

@animalambulance wrote:

Hi all,

I'm a "newbie" to Paypal so please forgive me if I make a mistake.

Last month i paid a shipper by paypal to bring some goods over to London from China for me and in transit a carton got lost.

I raised a dispute and after negotiating we made a deal and the original payment was returned .I say this because on my paypal account it says that it was "Completed" and returned to my card.

My card is a debit card so it should be back in my bank account BUT when i check the account online it is not there-Why?

It is a considerable amount of money-over £370.00 -so I'm a bit worried about it not showing up.

I need to use the refunded money to back up a cheque that I want to write out today to pay a bill but don't want to do this if there is insufficient money in my bank to cover it.

I don't want to pay for a bounced cheque so really need the paypal refund out back into my account quickly-What do i do?

When I paid by paypal the money came out of my account instantly so should it not have returned to it at the same speed?

I sent paypal an email about it yesterday morning as soon as I discovered the problem but as yet have received no reply.

Can anyone please tell me if I'm getting in a stew over nothing and it is just delayed while getting back to my bank account?

THANK YOU in advance for all advice given!!

Michael

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Dian

Hi Toghrul, 

Welcome to our community and thank you for posting here. 

I am sorry that you have not received any responses yet. I would like to help but I would need a bit more information from you. I understand that you did not use PayPal for the payment of the Coat but PayPal informed you that you had received a refund?

If you did not use PayPal for the original transaction we will not be able to process a refund for you. The seller is able to send money to your PayPal account but this will not show as a refund. If you could give a bit more information we or other Community users would be happy to help. 

Dian

Login to Me Too

tomi
Contributor
Contributor

i have same problem , says refund a month ago ... wtf people ?

anyone from PP have something to say ?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Did you pay via instant bank transfer or debit card as it makes a difference to where the refund is credited.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi Tomi,

Thanks for your message. As we are moderators here we do not have access to view your PayPal account. Generally if a refund has been issued and it has been sent to your registered card it will show up on your statement in a few days. I would recommend to contact your bank directly to ask them to locate your refund. If they are not able to locate your refund and have completed a trace please contact us directly so we can initiate a trace for you. To contact us directly just click on the contact us link at the bottom of any PayPal page.

I hope this helps

Paula

Login to Me Too

LegalRegal
Contributor
Contributor

Most banks charge at least 10.00 some up tto 25.00 for any transaction trace.

Login to Me Too

X-X
This "no refund on your bank account" has happened to me several times and I'm starting to be so p1ssed about it that I'm thinking closing my paypal account once and for all and buy my stuff using netbanks since I've never ever have these ridiculous problems with them!
Login to Me Too

X-X
This "no refund on your bank account" has happened to me several times and I'm starting to be so p1ssed about it that I'm thinking closing my paypal account once and for all and buy my stuff using netbanks since I've never ever have these ridiculous problems with them!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.