Selling a car with Paypal Payment

kerrycwells
Contributor
Contributor

I have an offer to buy my car and the buyer, who is from another area of the country, wants to pay by PayPal. I have only used PayPal for purchases. Can someone please tell me how this works and what to look for to be sure this isn't a con?  .

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

ssgt68
New Community Member
This guys name on his email is Johnson Bradson. His email address is **email removed**.
Im glad I found the complaints about this guy before we went any further.  I have listed his emails below and reported it to spoof@paypal.com
I was trying to sell a boat on craigslist and this is his 4th email he has sent me.
"Hello,
I was just about to pay when i had this problem with the pick up, my
pick up agent says i will need to pay for the pick up before they can
schedule a pick up time, they charged me $600 for pick up and
delivery, and payments for pick up made through them is made to their
corporate international headquarters which is in the state and the
payments is made through western union money transfer, i will add the
$600 to the money i will send through paypal as soon as i have made
the payments, i will email you and let you know and please i will need
 you to help me send the money to my pick up agent through western
union money transfer, this can be done from any post office ,there is
always western union money transfer section in most post offices(you
can do it online as well at www.westernunion.com)..., i would have
done it myself but we cant bring some of our personal effects along, i
 am a little incapacitated.....I will appreciate your help here.

Hope to read back from you soon.

so i will transfer the total amount of $2,100 to your paypal account now """"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
3rd email: 
"""well i dont have much to say...this is a legitimate transaction so
kindly assist me with paypal stuff"""
-------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd email:
"Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now for my son  and i am not in town at the moment as i am a Military been in camp in for some time and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for it and please if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com  and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it after i have made the payments...

Thanks """""
----------------------------------------------
His 1st email:  "Do you still have it available for sale and i will like to know the present condition..."""

Login to Me Too

rolands
Contributor
Contributor

Below is an email that got got in response to a car that I had on sale from craigslist. He responded almost immediately and almost had me convinced to request payment until I looked up "oceanographer" on paypal.  BEWARE!!

Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my son, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe andb  secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon.

Login to Me Too

ezr4me2c
Contributor
Contributor
Yep, next there will be problems with the mover not excepting pay-pal and along you to send money Western Union. Big scam.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.