When creating a subscription, how does the APPROVED status differ from ACTIVE in the HTTP response?

henrywright
Contributor
Contributor

When creating a subscription, the status value in the HTTP response can be APPROVED but it can also be ACTIVE. See https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/subscriptions/v1/#subscriptions_create

How are these different? Surely if the subscription is approved then the subscription is active.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS-Aaron
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @henrywright 

So, you can actually have a subscription be "Approved" without being active. Some merchants may need to set the start date at a later time. For example, they may have a furniture rental program that is "no money down, first 2 days are free, then payments of 15.99 a week after that". In this case, they could set the "Start date" to be 2 days from the time the customer signed up for the subscription. For 2 days, it would be approved but not active. 

I hope that helps!

-Aaron

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

MTS-Aaron
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @henrywright 

So, you can actually have a subscription be "Approved" without being active. Some merchants may need to set the start date at a later time. For example, they may have a furniture rental program that is "no money down, first 2 days are free, then payments of 15.99 a week after that". In this case, they could set the "Start date" to be 2 days from the time the customer signed up for the subscription. For 2 days, it would be approved but not active. 

I hope that helps!

-Aaron

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.