PayPal Business Debit Card is removing backup bank account funding

moorewmla
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure I am posting this in the correct location but we just received an email from PayPal informing us that starting September 12th the backup funding from our bank account to our PayPal Business Debit Card function is going to be removed from ALL PayPal accounts. I called and spoke with a wonderful customer service rep Lori who spoke with her supervisor (and they had to speak with their supervisor). Apparently no one had informed them of this major change in PayPal business account functions. 

We really rely on this benefit as we are fully self-employed with three businesses and live in a very rural area. The Debit Card backup funding gives us the peace of mind to know our accounts are running smoothly and we don't have to constantly check balances. Ours is a perishable product business and our sales are cyclical on a weekly basis, we don't have customers making purchases every day of the week.

Bottom line: booooooo to PayPal!! You just made our businesses HARDER to run on a day-to-day basis despite your claim in that very email stating your "ongoing focus on helping your business to thrive". I imagine there will be a lot of folks shopping around for other options since PayPal thinks it is fine to cut major functional benefits to their customers with no information or basis in doing so.

moorewmla_0-1692288129895.png

Login to Me Too
278 REPLIES 278

JustMelMCK
Contributor
Contributor

I've already decided I won't be offering PayPal as a payment option anymore. In light of this sudden change to policy, lord knows what else they might suddenly decide to change. No thanks. 

Login to Me Too

I was heavily reliant on this card for my company. They are essentially turning it into a gift card, with very short notice. Pretty dumb. Is Elon Musk back at the company or something?

Login to Me Too

nettiemcc
Contributor
Contributor

I just got this email this morning.  I've been fighting with them to re confirm my bank account after my business debit card was hacked and I had to cancel and get a new one.  I guess I don't need to worry about that any longer.  I already had to move all my monthly recurring payments off PayPal, because they refuse to let me pay for anything with my bank account, but I can sure deposit to it.  I will be following to see if anyone else finds something with a back up funding method/system to similar to this.  I've been using this card exclusively for probably 10 yrs, back when they paid 3%!  I don't even have a bank debit card off my account.  Super annoying.

Login to Me Too

rossalanblue
Contributor
Contributor

How do I add money to Paypal Business Debit with my bank when it's not linked?  Can I downgrade to a Personal PayPal card and link my bank?

Paypal has been very secure, consistently.  I've used this card for many years.  Now I'm 70.

Otherwise, so many sites Prefer PayPal purchasing.  I will have to change all my Auto monthly accounts online.  AND my current card is expiring.

Login to Me Too

StanleyQ
Contributor
Contributor
I discovered that the personal debit card didn't have backup funding. I stopped using it, my bank debit is okay. I have 50 vendors that I'll have to change to my business bank debit card. I haven't taken PayPal ever, so I've already fixed that by default.
Login to Me Too

nettiemcc
Contributor
Contributor

If you've already been using your car for years, you should have a bank account linked, unless you are using a paypal balance?  Paypal is doing away with all backup funding methods, so downgrading to a personal account won't help

Login to Me Too

rossalanblue
Contributor
Contributor

That was a helpful answer.  So how, actually, will I put money from my bank into paypal?  1) Do I have to go to the bank and have them put it into the card?  2)  Do I still get the 1% when I buy credit?

Login to Me Too

rossalanblue
Contributor
Contributor

Good News.  Paypal should have clarified the change to mean:  They will no longer cover minus (below) zero PayPal Balances.  After September, you will have to monitor your balance.  You will STILL be able to "Add Money" from your bank account via computer and funds transferred from your Bank.

I'm glad that I don't have to contact and change my Automatic Withdrawal/Payments already in action.

Login to Me Too

moorewmla
Contributor
Contributor

Right, this scenario you describe was never in question and is not the problem. For instance: if you have your business phone bill set to auto-pay from your PayPal Business Debit Card and the bill is $300 but on the day the payment is processed you only have a $299 balance on your PayPal account they will return the payment to your phone company instead of drawing the additional $1 from your backup bank account to complete the payment.

Login to Me Too

FluffyButtsTX
Contributor
Contributor
And that is EXACTLY why I no longer want to use it. Hard to load funds onto it. Don’t want to generate late fees or tolltag problems. MIGHT use it for online purchases to shield my credit card info/debit card info, later. I deleted everything for backup funding. Waiting to see what happens. Worried election drama may spill over into PayPal again (account locks; balance freezes) if you contribute to something PayPal disagrees with. I have been keeping my onhand balance near zero because of that. Now I will just plan on maybe keeping it only to get donations in.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.