Can't seem to use my new Paypal without adding a credit card, how can I solve this?

BPelle
New Community Member

I used to pay for a few services (Spotify, Netflix, Steam, Patreon, etc) with a Paypal account linked to a Dutch bank account. However, since I've started working I've made a Belgian bank account where I get my wages. So I made a new Paypal account linked to that Belgian bank account. The bank account is verified and after some hassle I at least managed to have Spotify Premium be billed from my new Belgian Paypal. However, I can't seem to get it working with other services. When I try to change my payment details on Netflix or Steam, pick Paypal and then log in to my Belgian one instead of my Dutch one it asks for a credit card. I never had a credit card and don't want one either, I just want it to be debited directly from my bank account like it used to do. Why am I not getting this option? I already called my bank and they said there shouldn't be any problem, and that I should contact Paypal. Sadly, customer services in the weekends here is only available in French and I don't speak French. Hopefully someone can assist me here, thank you.

I'll give you an example.

Right now, I've got a Paypal account linked to my Nintendo account. It's linked to my Dutch bank account, and when I buy something on the Nintendo Shop the money is pulled directly from my bank account through Paypal. I now want to delete that Paypal and add my new one. I can delete my old Paypal no problem, and then add my new one as well. However, when I do so, I get asked for a credit card to complete my purchase. When I then go back and re-add my old Paypal account, linked to my Dutch bank account, I can select that bank account to be used for payment and I never get asked about a credit card. What's going on here, and why can't I pick my Belgian bank account as a payment option even though I've got it activated and verified. Because the strange part is that I did eventually was able to properly add my Belgian Paypal to my Spotify without having it ask for a credit card. I have no idea what's going on and it's quite frustrating.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BPelle 

Read the screens carefully, it may be asking for a back up payment method (credit card) to your Bank account or PayPal balance (probably for all transactions with new accounts from recent times and from now on PayPal is going to asking for back up payment methods now). Otherwise the payments will go by eCheck. If you have a credit card linked and use it as back up, the payments will go as Instant Transfer (PayPal fronts the money ahead and waits for your funds to clear your bank in 3-5 business days. 

I try to order food for delivery once and I have balance but they ask for back up method (credit card or add a card) and they eventually charged my balance since I have enough in there.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.