Confirm PayPal Mobile - Not receiving SMS text message to confirm phone number!!!!

tomgibson
Contributor
Contributor

I try to link my mobile number to my Paypal account but I never receive the confirmation SMS text message that they say has been sent..  My phone number is entered correctly..  My phone number is set to "mobile" in my profile preferences..  I click the "Re-Send" button but I never receive the SMS text message, so I can't enter my confirmation code !!!!    I see alot of members are having the same problem but their posts are not getting any replies besides "make sure your phone number is entered correctly"  or  "make sure your phone number listed in your profile is set to MOBILE".    HELLO PAYPAL!!!!!   It's the right number and it's set to mobile.!!!   So why aren't I getting the text message from you so I can enter my confirmation code?????????    And by the way, my carrier is T-Mobile and I have UNLIMITED SMS MESSAGING on my plan...  Oh, AND my account is paid up to date.!!!!!!!   So please explain to me why I am not getting the confirmation code sent to my mobile phone????

Login to Me Too
32 REPLIES 32

avery02138
New Community Member

I have requested the text several times now.  I have an Android with unlimited texting.  This is ridiculous, I am only changing my phone number, why is it such a hassle?

Login to Me Too

chay1950
Contributor
Contributor

Well it's August 9th and the SMS issue is still not resolved. From what I have read in the forums, it started in May. My phone carrier is Verizon. According to their tech, they are not receiving any text from PayPal. Text from other sources are OK.

I called PayPal this morning and the tech finally admitted that the problem is on their side and are working the issue. It seems to have been going on for at least 4 months now. No telling when they will get it fixed. A new security card is almost $30. It used to be only $5. What a rip-off.

I'm just going to tighten up my password and hope this gets fixed soon.

Login to Me Too

hotpprs
Contributor
Contributor

I too just signed up for a mobile key. I got the message from Verizon Wireless saying I need premium text to receive the message. I certainly am not going to open myself up to premium fees and hassles with Verizon just to get this security key feature.

The online chat from Paypal was useless to be polite.

So I have a outstanding e-mail out to their customer service.

There is another thing I don't get about this mobile verify key.

If someone can figure out your password and get into your account on the web, isn't this verify key useless?

They can just disable your mobile key from your profile page. Correct? Unless Paypal doesn't make the change effective until you confirm it with your registered e-mail address.

Does anyone know if this is the case?

Login to Me Too

hotpprs
Contributor
Contributor

I received my e-mail reply from Paypal about the premium text SMS issue with thePayPal moblie security key.

It was just a generic message about that the security key is, and how to order the physical key.

It did not address my issue with the premium messaging through Verizon Wireless.

And it did not ask if that answer is acceptable or if I needed further help, or offer a survey on the effectiveness of their customer service on my issue.

If companies with more competition had similar customer service, they would soon be out of business.

I guess PayPal does not have enough competition and can just let at least some customers with issues they do not deem important enough, just run into a dead end.

Login to Me Too

Seporad
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone figured this out?! 

I switched from AT&T to Verizon and am having the same problem.  Cannot received the Paypal security pin for extra login security. 

Login to Me Too

Seporad
Contributor
Contributor

BIG UPDATE:

Same problem with Chase Mobile and with my friend's BoA.  He was finally told that there is a customary 30 day clearance issue with ported numbers to new carriers for such security type sites.

I'll repost in a few weeks if this is indeed true and all works out.  

Login to Me Too

sindim
New Community Member

In the past few years, I had been receiving text messages from Paypal with no problem until June or July 2011. I haven't changed my cellular arrier, location, phone, etc, and I can receive text messages from others (including messages from Europe and Asia). I emailed Paypal about this issue about a month ago; all I've got from them is an automatic reply saying that they would contact me back within a few days (but they haven't done so yet). It's been 5-6 months now and nothing's got fixed. I've already deactivated the text messaging feature from My Profile. I'm just not going to waste any more of my time on this anymore.

Login to Me Too

m_ca
Contributor
Contributor

I also stopped receiving texts sometime in Summer 2011. Emailed Paypal, no response.

Customer Service definitely **bleep** on this one, kids. Time to investigate Google and Amazon.

Login to Me Too

NotJustMe
New Community Member

Any resolution to this yet?  Is it true that there is a 30-day waiting period after a phone number is ported? My mobile security SMS stopped working after I changed carriers as well & paypal sent me a key card which is not as convenient. I miss the added level of security & convenience of having the security SMS delivered right to my mobile phone!

Paypal customer service  suggested registering my mobile # with my account and now my security key page is a mess with my mobile # listed 3 times and security key card listed twice!  Why is there no option to DELETE inactive security keys?

PayPal should make it a priority & put more resources into fixing it's security key issues!  This is a great feature that gives customer peace of mind and confidence that PayPal is secure, BUT ONLY WHEN IT WORKS PROPERLY!

Anyone from PayPal listening out there?

Login to Me Too

bhtran1977

Guess what! It's December and it still does not send the SMS text message! UGH. After reading all these replies, I  don't even want to try anymore than I already have. Hope you all have a good holiday!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.