Seller asking for top up

eugeneloo
New Community Member
Hi, I’ve recently made a payment for a purchase to a seller. I have did my due diligence - I met him on a fb selling page and he had a business page with tons of review, and I did reference check on him on fb with no problems. However the problem started to arise when we confirmed how much I need to pay him for the item. We agreed to a specific number amount - but now he is asking for a top up of payment as the place he is buying the item from has increased the price. Logically speaking, that isn’t the buyer’s problem because in business - how much you charge for pre order is what it is and you should honor your word since you should have reserved the item at your intended price as a seller. However, I wasn’t being difficult so I said I will pay, but on one condition and that is after I received the item. Because I read PayPal buyer protection and to be eligible I’m supposed keep it one single payment. I need an advice on how to proceed with this. I’m totally fine with paying that top up but I want to protect myself from any risk, such as when he has an intention to cheat or scam, I wish to be fully protected by PayPal and do not wish this second payment or anything else he ask me to do jeopardize my coverage. Thank you
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @eugeneloo,

Thank you for your post! I'm happy to clarify. The requirement of a single payment is meant for the protection of both parties, so that a dispute over a single item can be handled in one dispute, and prevent mistakes or misunderstandings regarding the circumstances of the transaction. If the seller wants to refund the original payment, you could pay the full amount in a separate transaction.

Sending a second payment after receiving the item is okay, but it's not entirely without risk. If there's a need for a dispute for an item that is not as described, there will be two transactions to dispute separately and that can cause complication.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.