Classified ad seller wants me to pay for item using his friend's PayPal account

Fred6789
Contributor
Contributor

The seller of an item that I want to purchase from a classifieds ad told me that he does not want me to pay him for the item with his PayPal account because he is currently having technical problems with his PayPal account.  So he wants me to pay using his friend's PayPal account.  Should I still purchase the item using is friend's PayPal account?  If I pay using his friend's PayPal account do I still have buyer protection?  He may not want me to use his PayPal account because he may have a seller dispute going with PayPal, and PayPal may have blocked his use of his PayPal account for that reason.  Thanks for any replies. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fred6789 

As long as you send payment as goods and services, you'll have buyer protection but realize that buyer protection is not a 100% guarantee, warranty or insurance has it's limitations so please read the terms, conditions, requirements:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Fred6789
Contributor
Contributor

Which method of payment within PayPal should I use?  I can use my checking account, Bank Of America VISA, or Bank Of America debit card.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Fred6789,

Thank you for your post! I would suggest extreme caution. If the person selling the item has disclosed that their PayPal account is limited, that means that they are currently circumventing the limitation by asking a third party to receive the payment for them. That means that you are conducting a transaction with a person who has violated the PayPal User Agreement, potentially multiple times.

The information that @sharpiemarker gave regarding protecting yourself is correct, but please also keep in mind that it's always higher risk when a party in the transaction is asking you to go outside the bounds of the User Agreement or to allow them to do so.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.