What to do after buyer fakes a paypal payment

eponym
New Community Member

Yes, another user (me) almost fell prey to the intl.paypal.com scams. (Warning - I'm wordy! But there is a question at the end . . .)

First, kudos to the support tech I spoke with today (sorry, lost his name). He was very helpful and he saved me from sending my mother's 1945 engagement ring to New Jersey for no payment. I've been a paypal member since shortly after it was founded, but I have used it primarily for online donations (wikipedia, that sort of thing). I have never used it to receive payment for something sold online.

The only thing the scammers got from me was my real google email address. I never clicked on anything in their emails. As I was unfamiliar with how payments to me work (never got one before), I checked my paypal account online and then called support, which responded in a timely manner.

Okay. My question: I'm implementing stronger passwords for any sensitive accounts (including gmail, natch) which use my google email to log in. Is there anything else I can do (short of getting a different google mail account) to protect myself? Have I put anything at risk?

Thanks for your attention and for any replies! And thank you, paypal techs.

-Eponym

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.