All Legacy API credential questions here please.

MTS_Ciaran

To request API Signature or Certificate credentials for your PayPal account:

1. Log in to your PayPal Live or Sandbox account.
  2. Under Profile, select Profile and settings.

image.png

3. Click My selling tools

image.png

4. In the API access section, click Update.

image.png

5. Under NVP/SOAP API integration, click Manage API credentials.
image.png

• If you have already generated an API Signature, then View API Signature appears. Click that option to view or remove your existing API Signature.
  • If you have already generated an API Certificate, then View API Certificate appears. Click that option to view or remove your existing API Certificate.
Note: If you are prompted to verify your PayPal account, then follow the on-screen instructions.
  1. Select one of the following options, then click Agree and Submit.

image.png

• Request API Signature – Select for API Signature authentication.
  • Request API Certificate – Select for API Certificate authentication.

1. PayPal generates your API credentials as follows:
  • API Signature credentials include an API Username, API Password, and Signature, which does not expire. These values are hidden by default for added security. Click Show/Hide to toggle them on and off. When finished, click Done.

• API Certificate credentials include an API Username, API Password, and Certificate, which expires automatically after three years. Click Download Certificate to save the API Certificate to your desktop.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

kirachi
New Community Member

MTS_Andre

Hi, that link will bring you to the main page where you have few option to choose from for the APIs, you can login into your Sandbox account and then click that link you posted, you will see the page I mean.

Login to Me Too

BrianDunning
Contributor
Contributor

These instructions appear to be a little out of date... I'm looking to update my old Classic API credentials. When I click on this:

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 10.43.14 AM.png

I get to this screen:

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 10.35.18 AM.png

and as you can see, the only option is to "Remove". I am worried that since this is a legacy API, removing them might be permanent with no option to refresh or create new ones. As this is mission critical and in production, I don't want to risk that. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Login to Me Too

not_here

Hi @BrianDunning,

I'd suggest you reach out to Merchant Technical Support who can assist you with the steps to update your integration. 

Christina 

Login to Me Too

jasperz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The  Merchant Technical Support is no longer exist, but I hope I can get some help/clue here.

I have access to the sandbox API, but when I wanted to request API Credentials for Live Account, after "Manage API credentials", it says "Sorry, we couldn’t confirm it’s you.".
I never get the SMS Verification codes also.
Thank you.

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

Hi,

Christina is right, open a ticket with us and we can discuss, removing your API credentials on a live integration will likely break the integration and require you to replace the API credentials in your software, it's quick enough to do this, but you want to make sure you know where you need to update before you remove any existing credentials. 

Login to Me Too

Tulzac

i cant find this option "  In the API access section, click Update. " in my business account settings option. am from Nigeria.

Login to Me Too

RockStump
New Community Member

Hi, I am having trouble getting legacy API NVP/SOAP credentials.  Why am I trying to use the legacy API?  Well, I am using an old WordPress plugin that has built-in PayPal payment functionality, and it is designed to use the NVP/SOAP api. Why am I using this old plugin? Well, there unfortunately isn't an alternative plugin that offers the same functionality.  So I'm basically stuck - I need the legacy API.

When I try to generate NVP/SOAP credentials, it doesn't generate an API Password and an API Signature.  Instead, it appears to generate REST api credentials, a "Client ID" and "Secret".

I attempted to use these values anyway with the assumption that "Client ID" corresponds to "Password" and "Secret" corresponds to "Signature", but it does not appear to work.  I am not 100% positive that the plugin itself is not the problem, but I do fear that it is just not possible to generate NVP/SOAP credentials anymore.

Is the NVP/SOAP api still supported?  Please advise.

Login to Me Too

not_here

Hi @RockStump

NVP/SOAP integrations are definitely still supported. Where are you when you're generating those credentials? I just went to reproduce what you're experiencing and I cannot. For reference: 

Hover on your name to display the drop down menu. 

Click Account Settings and then on API access select Update. 

Scroll until you see "Custom checkout experience" and you're going to select the Classic integration [click Manage API Credentials] 

You should see the below view where you can generate your NVP/SOAP API Username, Password, and Signature. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 10.23.01 AM.png

Hope this helps! 

Christina 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.