meaning of "eligible" debit card

jhbonney
New Community Member

When I transfer money from paypal to my bank, it says it can be transferred instantly if I link an eligible debit card.  My debit card is linked, but I'm assuming it's not "eligible" since it won't allow me to do the instant transfer.  Define "eligible"

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jhbonney

A debit card that paypal accepts.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jhbonney
New Community Member

What does that mean?  The debit card has been linked to my Paypal account for years, so I would assume that means it's accepted?  Or is there some special process to have it accepted for that purpose?  I didn't see anyplace on the website to request that?  Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

If the card is eligible or qualified (meaning it's approved by PayPal for that function) , then it will be available in the drop-down selection.

Login to Me Too

jhbonney
New Community Member

How do you get it approved?  Are only certain banks approved? Or do you have to make a request to have it approved?  I didn't see anyplace to make that request?

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

I'm sure that they go through some type of review process however, as that's an internal corporate decision - you can try contacting customer service however, I don't believe you'll get any details.

Login to Me Too

ZaZa12
Contributor
Contributor

From my experience: MasterCard was not eligible, but VISA card was accepted.

Solution: Go for VISA Card.

Login to Me Too

insas
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
‘Eligible’ card means card that is in PayPal network. There is no way to really know you just have to add it. If you are getting an instant transfer option it means card is valid for instant transfer. If not, you still can withdraw it just takes longer to receive money. In my experience safest option is VISA debit card. Rest of them (Mastercard, any credit card, prepaid cards) are touch and go....prepaid cards (even if branded as VISA) barely are eligible. Unfortunately you cannot make them eligible yourself nor by contacting PayPal support. It is just something PayPal has set up internally.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jhbonney 

@ZaZa12 

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-credit-cards-can-i-use-with-paypal-faq1119

Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express cards that have a registered billing address to make PayPal payments.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Gosiemo
Contributor
Contributor
' your card is linked but not eligible to transfer instantly. What dies that mean. And when I am withdrawing from PayPal my home bank does not recognize the source. So the money is there but I can't use it.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.