Withdrawal Pending

banjo72
New Community Member

I normally transfer funds sing my First Direct account but my sister asked if she could use PayPal to transfer some money that she owed me. I looked into this and was told by a ‘helpful’ advisor that as long as my bank account was verified I could transfer the money and it would take up to 2 hours.

I received the money, went to withdraw it and it said it would take two hours but since then my withdrawal has been pending. I spoke to someone else who told me that this was due to it being an unusually high amount of money. The amount is actually £57.77 and I very nearly accused the agent of being unusually high themselves. 

I can can understand why PayPal sometimes have to be careful as they’re not a proper bank but I refuse to believe that there is nobody there that can have a look at this and see it’s not some dodgy scam but a mere transfer of funds between siblings

The 72 hours is up on a Saturday afternoon and I have a nasty feeling that it won’t clear into my bank account until the following working day. This has been a bit of a ball ache for me and but I’m more annoyed at PayPal’s attitude more than anything. It’s lucky that this wasn’t my last £57.77 and I was relying on that money for bills etc. but I bet there are plenty of others out there who do

It goes without saying that I will never use their services again and I’ll stick to real banks from now on

Login to Me Too
62 REPLIES 62

Joewilkins
Contributor
Contributor
Well guys been waiting since Friday for paypal to sort the issue out with account I had account in jo instead of joanna sent them details bearing in mind o have had account 10 years had a large amount paid in and they locked account needed money asp as cat needed emergency treatment they did not care face smashed in eye popped in head promised me they would sort it by mon messaged me this morning to tell me appeal was refused and ID was refused but could withdraw to bank account tried to add account wouldn't let me had a call at work telling me need to come home cat has taken a turn for worse called paypal again managed to get bank account on to account withdrew money only for them to put another 72 hour hold . Got home cat on kitchen floor gasping for air granddaughter screaming called paypal again asked to speak to manager put on hold for 45 minutes when they came on phone they hung up . Fuming takes the p went upstairs to go loo came down stairs and my cat had passed away I am devestated this money in my account is nothing to do with ebay selling or buying it's my money I am fuming they allowed my cat to suffer I cant even pay my rent tomorrow any advice
Login to Me Too

Jemmalauren
Omg I'm so sorry to hear that. You can tell that it is completely random because I withdrew two transactions that totalled around £250 which happened immediately but I then go and withdraw a tiny £12 transaction and that is the one that goes into "security" pending. I do also think that if you have funds that are not available to you immediately that they do actually release them instantly. I had two ebay transactions that were around that amount and it wouldn't even let me touch that money until either I provided the tracking saying it arrived or I could have ended up waiting up to 21 days for it. This is entirely deliberate and considering fees are taken off you really shouldn't be holding on to peoples money for the interest and you REALLY SHOULDN'T say it will take up to 2 HOURS (this isn't implied or hidden it's right there when you withdraw money) when that is not true. Banks don't get away with that and i do believe that PayPal has to abide by much the same rules as banks. Its a shame that there isn't really much of an alternative to using PayPal when it comes to using eBay so looks like I've just got to put up with it??
Login to Me Too

bethFH
New Community Member

hi'

I have the same problem, where you able to complete your pending withdrawal? if so how many days it took paypal to transfer the funds? Im really worried as this is the first time i had my withdrawal being held under review.

Login to Me Too

juanderer
Contributor
Contributor

i was looking into accepting payments thru paypal and transfering it to my bank account but reading these issues from users made me realize i was right to doubt whether it will be easy to do the fund transfer. guess i wont be doing it anymore

Login to Me Too

Darren36
Contributor
Contributor

it's extremely funny when they hold money for "security" yet they can withdraw your money instantly. ijust trasnferred £51 to my friend and he withdrew it to a bank account. Now is "pending" yet 3 days ago £40 went through no problem? they make it up as they go along. 

Login to Me Too

SamuelJames_
Contributor
Contributor
Whilst I understand the premise of security it would be a nice for some transparency instead of generic lines. I’m not a seller, I just used PayPal to deposit and withdraw from online bookmakers. Never have a problem. Had a good day, withdrew to pay pal successfully, however when I tried to withdraw from PayPal I got an error message. I tried to withdraw again only for it to go into pending. To make matters worse, I received another payment into PayPal, from the same company, for more money that went through to my account instantly. Once again, I’m not complaining as I understand why the checks take place, and whilst I do need the money that is pending, there’s nothing I can do, so some transparency would be all that I (and I assume everyone who has commented also) could ask for.
Login to Me Too

riley14
Contributor
Contributor
I am in the same boat av used paypal on and off for years but always been able to transfer straight away I'm a buisness seller and they now av decided to hold £550 of mine
Login to Me Too

Whyt_ee
Contributor
Contributor

They've hav my money (8K) for 4 weeks now. Error message when trying to transfer. ZERO customer service availability.  I'll be sure to never use this company again, considering visiting their head office in Sydney in person.  I could do with some police attention.

Login to Me Too

gregarcia
Contributor
Contributor
I have my credit card linked to my paypal account so that the money is transferred to my account on the 1st of every month. The first month I received the credit a day later. The second month 7 days past and I didn't receive my "automatic " credit via my credit card. I emailed them and about 2 days later I received such credit. This is the third month and eighteen (18) days has past and I'm yet to receive my credit via my credit card. I emailed to have the problem resolved and they confirmed without showing any evidence that the amount was sent to my credit card. I call my bank and there isn't pending transaction from PayPal. They (paypal) replied and said if by the 16th August 2020 the money hasn't been received, email and a trace would be done on the transaction. I did so on the 17th, because no money was received only to be told by yet another support staff that I must now wait until the 21st. I repeated asked to speak to someone preferably a manager (who doesn't seem to exist) and yet another support refuses to have me do so. Can anyone out there give me any advice as to what legal actions I can take or anyone I can refer this matter to? I'd be happy to listen
Login to Me Too

Zico1973
Contributor
Contributor

They have done this to me and their staff told its to safe guard Paypal and not the customer, who they dont care about.

How many people to they do this too and for how much. If you think the Interest they will be making by doing this will be millions.

I have requested details under FOI act and been refused this info, saying as I am un the UK and thats federal, haha - still covered in the UK by FCA and our Human Rights.

I asked what security checks they have done in the 73 hours and was told none, this is just the average time for someone to report fraud on their bank account - strange does not stop them taking their cut. Like someone said we pay for a service they are not giving and just because in terms and conditions does not make it legal

get in touch <removed>

with the issue you have had. I am looking to take County Court Action and anyone who evidence will be able to assist the courts.

I made a payment from my account to someone and they got this immediately so cant be to protect Paypal as would have needed extra security on me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.